beak pecking..are they kissing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherylcohen, Nov 15, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this. Beatrice the eldest (28 weeks) has been pecking the beak of two other girls. Incidently she is the layer I have so far. The girls she's chosen to peck happen to be the next eldest girls (22 and 25) Although i do have a wheaton ameraucana that is 27 weeks and she's not doing it to her. All the rest in my flock are 20 weeks and she's not pecking them.

When she pecks them they just stand there, kind of taking it (enjoying it????)

I'm sure some experts out there know what this is all about

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I've seen them eat food off of each other's beaks before..

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If so, then one of mine just "kissed" my husband's eyeball yesterday!! LOL (and OUCH!)... I'd say the same as the other poster. Them may be seeing a bit of something on the beak or sticking out of beak???? Not sure, but if it was an aggressive act, I would think the other two would be reacting and squawking...

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They are cleaning the crud or food off their beaks, instead of just wiping it on the ground as you have surely seen them do.

AL

5. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Wow really they do that for each other??? That must be a sign of affection as well then????

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:NO it isn't they just want the extra food from their beaks as is the pecking order period, no Human behavior period.

AL

7. Paxo2

Paxo2 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    One of our new point of lays did this to 2 of the oldest. They stood and took it but one was not amused when the peck hit the bit of comb that extends onto her beak. The smallest and most timid also had a peck but did not push her luck and soon stopped. Not sure what is going on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by