Beak Peeled Off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HaleyKrueger, Aug 21, 2016.

1. HaleyKrueger

HaleyKrueger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    We adopted a 2 year old hen today from a neighbor today. She was the sole survivor of a nasty racoon attack. She has some broken feathers on her back. She likely survived because she was broody. We have 7 hens, and we hope to intergrate her into our flock.
    In the meantime she has her own space with everything she needs and where the chickens can check each other out safely.
    She has a pale and floppy comb - likely from being broody and/trauma of the attack.
    However this afternoon, she seemed fine. When I checked on her this evening, the entire top portion of her beak has peeled off. It's just dangeling there off to the side, and looks like the top "shell" of her beak. It's looks like there is another beak underneath. It's strange. Like when a toenail lifts up to expose a new toenail growing underneath.
    It's slightly bloody. Not bad. I left it the way it was for the night, not knowing what to and not wanting to make it worse. Perhaps she tore it on our hardware clothe? Should we flip the beak back on her nose?
    Any ideas or suggestions?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm inclined to say leave it be and let that hanging portion fall off.

Since there was an attack on the others, it's possible she may have been wounded also. Looks more like she got it hung on something and pulled the outer layer of her beak off.

The beak may be tender so you give her some wet feed or scrambled/hard boiled egg to eat for a few days (something soft) so she doesn't have to peck and see if that helps.

Let us know how she is doing.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  5. HaleyKrueger

Aug 27, 2012
    I set her up with watered down feed and hardboiled egg. As of now, she's not eating anything. She tries, and I can tell it's too painful for her. She also keeps clawing at the beak. My guess is I'll clip it off if things haven't changed in a day or two.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's a good idea. If it doesn't fall off, then clip the hanging part.

Poor girl - she has the broody stink eye going on and then this happens too.[​IMG]

Try to make sure she is at least drinking - they can get dehydrated fairly quickly.

7. HaleyKrueger

Aug 27, 2012
    Her beak fell off by the next morning. It's looking okay...not bleeding or anything. She attempted to eat today, some tuna I set out for her. She's still really shocked by the transition to our backyard, and still deciding if she's going to go broody again or not. She's not laying and not sitting, but there is lots of pacing around and classic broody clucking noises happening. I assume she's drinking water, but I haven't seen it. I have a toddler, so my ability to keep my eye on our hens is not what it used to be.
    Thank you all for the advice!

1 person likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's a bit unsettled. Poor girl.

Hopefully she will get adjusted soon.

If she is moving around, then most likely is getting water. Do they best you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by