??Beak Problems?? Pics**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RickiHupp, Nov 1, 2008.

1. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I ordered 8 chicks from MPC. They were hatched on Oct19th. My one EE pullet has a VERY crooked beak. I noticed it about a week ago and as she grows it becomes worse. She still eats and drinks, I am just scared that eventually this beak will be so bad that she wont be able to anymore. Any suggestions???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    [​IMG] nobody [​IMG]

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    hi there,

You might do a search on "crooked beak" or "crossed beak," especially in the emergencies forum. Some people trim the beaks, with more or less success, but I think you have to be very careful. Just make sure to provide deep food dishes and deep waterers. Of course, many don't make it with this problem, but some do, so the news isn't all bad.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Since it's the lower half of her beak that is so crooked, I don't know if there is anything you can do or not, but I do wish you luck. [​IMG]

5. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    How do you fill about eating chicken? Cull now or Cull later.

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you call MPC and see what suggestions they have? Maybe they have something that can help? Poor thing.

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I would think that MPC shouldnt be breeding that particular any more if it is producing crooked beaked chicks.. maybe it isnt a genetic problem [​IMG]

8. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh wow, I am of no help in this situation.. But she is a cutie.. That looks painful.. [​IMG]

9. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    poor chicky

10. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hello!! My red sex link Claudette has the same problem. We got her May 12, 2008 and her beak was like that. She is still alive and doing well. Now that she is older, we still give her vitamins and feed her layer mesh. She also gets alot of scrambled eggs. She is our favorite chicken now. Due to the fact that she has always been spoiled, shes sooo friendly. The other chickens do try to peck at it so we have her in the coop in a dog cage. She free ranges during the day when we are home. She is housed in the cage with our black cochin roo Baldie. He was injured as a baby also.
    Chrissie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by