Beak rings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Colorado Chick, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Just wanted your thoughts on beak rings. All my hens have plenty of space every where ......I just have two bullies. So I would appreciate your thoughts and your experiences with them especially. Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sorry, I don't know what a beak ring is.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Something like this?
    https://www.maceoinltd.com/chicken-beak-bits-ireland/

Never heard of them, thinks it would greatly interfere with them eating properly.

Wonders what "plenty of space every where" means in feet by feet for how many birds.
    Or there could be other considerations:
    Have you recently added new birds?
    What and how exactly are you feeding?
    Might try separating them from the rest of the flock for a time out of a week or so.

Some bird are just bullies...I've had a couple, they were delicious

1 person likes this.
  4. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Delicious....ha ha
    they've been separated since November. each time i go to reintroduce them, they start it all over again within minutes. they are free fed on a quality layer pellet at 16%. they also get BOSS and cracked corn. there are 7 hens that have 220 sq ft in their run, and almost 2k sq ft in the yard. their roosting space (If they were all together again) would be tight, but they don't do their real pecking damage at that time (these girls dont just peck or even pull out feathers, they strip them!). It is always out in the yard or pen.
    from what i have read about the rings, the hens can eat just fine and drink water. they would have to be removed every few days to let the hens preen. I've even read where some hens were broken from pecking. so i just wondered if anyone on here had had experience with them.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You may want to adjust your feed for more protein....especially animal protein.
    What's your daily ratio of layer feed to the BOSS and crack(ed corn)?
    BOSS has some protein but a lot of fat too.

Not sure what your goals are with keeping chickens,
    but those two would be gone from here,
    life's too short to deal with birds that b!tchy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    for every 25lbs of layer pellet, i mix approximately 5lbs BOSS and corn (combined) in it. they free feed on that. Their feed tray doesnt allow them to just go for the good stuff either, they have to either eat down or knock out the layer pellet to get to the goodies. My husband and i are bird nerds and so we have an above average grasp on the health of birds. These girls are on the mark for weight, have excellent feather condition (except the one that got beat up on last year, she did molt this winter, but not a complete molt). The 'other 5' birds are all happy and content with one another. then the two witches are content with one another. I lost one hen just a few weeks ago to cancer, but as far as i know, that has to do with genetics and not feed.

You are very right in that aggressive hens need to go away. The only reason i am keeping them around is that they are my very first hens, and they are super human and dog friendly. They are great on mice too! for now being that i have the space, it is easy to keep them separated. I entertained the idea of the beak rings as a last resort at attempting harmony.

Now about protein. I have been doing some research and the "nutrient requirements of poultry, ninth revised edition"
    https://www.nap.edu/catalog/2114/nutrient-requirements-of-poultry-ninth-revised-edition-1994
    states as an amendment on chapter 2's table 2-3 that "laying hens do not have a requirement for crude protein per se. However, there should be sufficient crude protein to ensure adequate supply of nonessential amino acids......"
    While the current feed that they are on is adequate and is even meeting the standards of this study, i have found that manna-pro egg maker meets the standards even further, simply because it has more of the items listed on this study. So, all that to say this, the next time i buy feed, i will be switching to manna pro egg maker. Unless i can find another feed that does just as well or better.
    If you get a chance to read this report, let me know what you think?

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Since you have the space to keep them separate from the rest of the flock, and they're content with one another as company, you could just keep them as 2 flocks. I'm sure it's more of a hassle that way but it's an option for those who have the room for it.

I've never seen the rings before but they don't look like something I'd really want to use, at least not long term. Maybe you can try them out for a short time and see if that helps break them of their bad habit.

8. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    That's my plan, two flocks it is :) I am in no rush to get rid of anyone. Come next spring (When ill need my vegetable garden back) it may be a different story. but that is a very long time away! :) There is another form of beak rings called beak bumpers, same principle, but it doesn't keep their beak gaping open. It will be those that i try IF i try anything. They are easy to remove and replace as needed. But like i said, i wont be needing to try anything soon.
    Thanks!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/685579/bumper-bits-i-just-installed-one-on-my-hen/20

just found another thread on them, and as you can read.....mixed feelings.

9. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
  10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's also pinless peepers....which restricts their sight rather than their beak function.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by