Beak ripped off

Joehnsn

Hatching
Apr 20, 2019
Tonight, we had a raccoon get into my duck pen. Killed a few, two are alive but with very bad injuries. One, has its top beak completely ripped off, leaving just the bottom and its tongue.
Does anyone know if it can survive? Or should we just end its suffering?? Please help

I really don't see how it could eat properly, even assuming it healed properly and you avoided infection. I really do think it would be best to put it out of its misery.

I mean, if you have an avian vet you can speak to, or have them look at your little drake, there MIGHT be a way, but personally, I don't see it.

Raccoons are terrible murderers of birds, I know - I had my own battle with them a couple of years ago. I was left holding my favorite little cuddlebug, a great mama Frizzle Banty Cochin hen, dying in my lap, after she seemed to wait for the hours it must have been between the attack and when I found her the next morning... and she seemed to hang on through all that pain just to take the time to tell me goodbye. I held her as she relaxed and took her last breaths. And then I went to war with the raccoons.

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom