Beak Trim Before Show?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Emily D, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Emily D

Emily D Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I have a show in less than a week. My chickens have underbites much like the one below from being debeaked by a previous breeder.
    [​IMG]
    They are 19 weeks old and they have trouble eating and drinking because of it. Will the judges at the show judge them down because of this? And if so, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What class are they entered in? In most breed classes, a judge will mark down a bird for having a beak trimmed like that (depending on how your fair is judged, they may be knocked down a place, may receive a pink ribbon, or may be disqualified). However, if they are being shown in an egg production class or "crossbred egg type/meat type hen" class, you may not have any problems.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it now. Beak trimming like that is mostly permanent.

3. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    They do not tell what the chickens are being judged on. I am hoping they won't be disqualified! Thank you for your response :)

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

5. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    It does not specify which class they are in, just how many chickens go in each pen and the gender they have to be. No other information is given. Sorry.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    Update: Apparently the beaks didn't matter. Judging was based on feather and bird condition, cleanliness, uniformity, and representation of breed. Three of the four pens that I brought received first place ribbons/trophies!!!

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi Emily ! [​IMG] ,
    Wonderful news! Huge congrats! You should be very proud!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Best Success,
    Karen

8. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi Karen :) Thanks! I am VERY proud of them[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by