beak trimming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gemma24, Jun 29, 2016.

1. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    Hi, I have a cross beak and her beak needs trimming...but what should I trim it with, and how?

2. Turk Raphael

Turk Raphael Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    The Blue Grass State
    This is bad. I hesitate to post this but from my limited experience, the bird is much better off if it is quickly culled.....as in killed. I'm sorry but that's factual.

Now it's time for others to come on and provide 55 ways/reasons to keep the thing alive...tantamount to hooking up a loved one to life support against their wishes...just my opinion and I've witnessed both situations in the past couple of weeks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    what I found, was when the chick was little, they could eat enough to keep them going. Then one day, they out grew their ability to eat.

I agree with the ^^^ post. It is sad and harsh, but probably better.

4. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    oh! she eats fine! (she is even fat!) I asked how to trim a beak, not why I should put my chicken down. so if some one would kindly tell me how to trim a beak I would be very happy. and her beak is not even that long!

5. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
  6. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Without being there to see? I would take her to someone that trims parrots. They can help you learn how and when to trim.

OG Anomaly likes this.
  7. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    THANK YOU for the people who answered the question, after all my hen is in her prime laying time! (and I love her!)...so thanks!

8. Turk Raphael

Turk Raphael Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    The Blue Grass State
    I guess love will cure a lot of ills. Everyone has their own limits. I cut cock's spurs down to about a quarter inch every once in a while to save my hen's backs and my neighbor gives me holy hell over it. She thinks the spurs are natural and the hens should be prepared for what nature has in store for them. I disagree.

What a grand bland world we'd have if folks could just always agree to agree.

Good luck to you ma'am...perhaps you could make certain she has fertile eggs and create a bunch of those scissors beaked gals and guys.

May all your days be joyous!!!

Turk

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I had a cross beaked silkie hen a few years ago, her bottom was mostly straight her top was crooked. She managed to eat and lived about 5 years. I occasionally trimmed the top portion with a dog nail clippers, taking off the hook, I also trim some older chickens who's beaks grows a book. You can file a point into the end or leave it. Just don't cut into the quick. Depending on the nature of the cross beak some do fine and others suffer. They don't all need culling.

10. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    thanks guys! and I am thinking about cutting off our roosters spurs... just not sure how...how do you cut a roosters spurs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by