Beak Trimming

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie08, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    this is one topic I haven't seen touched on yet. I would like to know peoples view for or against beak trimming. Let me know what you think.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Use the search feature and you will find many threads discussing this topic.

I for one find it very cruel.

3. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes I don't agree with it either I just wondered others opinions I personally wouldn't do it, I have adopted a few birds that were trimmed and they cant even get clean its terrible.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The commercial practice of beak trimming is one of the reason I got my own chickens - I want animals that are humanely raised, not treated to cruel practices such as removing a part of their beak.
    [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't do it and won't buy chickens that have had it done. Mother Nature intended for the chickens beaks to be just the way they are and I think they need to stay that way. It makes it hard for them to eat and drink and could cause problems down the road.

Just my opinion! [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It's cruelty... and if it was acceptable, they'd have been born that way. Mother Nature knows what she's doing [​IMG]

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

OUCH!! [​IMG]

How can they effectively peck around without a top beak? Seems horribly cruel.

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:My nephew is a member of the FFA at school and he says they just trim the "hook" part off of the tips of their beak. They don't take the whole top off. It still makes it hard for them to eat and drink, so I am totally against it. It's just cruel. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  9. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Im actually surprised that most hatcheries offer the "service"

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:A lot of times big chickens farms will ask for this to be done to help with the pecking problem. When they get large loads of chicks in they don't have time to "deal" with the problems that can arise when chicks start to peck each other. That is probably why the hatcheries offer the service. Sadly enough, there is somewhat of a demand for it.

I still stand by what I said earlier, however. I think it's cruel and should not be done. :mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by