1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beak trimming?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drm315, Apr 11, 2012.

1. drm315

drm315 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    Sorry - I just didn't know where else to post this question. If this isn't the right place, I apologize. I am in NC and am having a hard time finding starter pullets. I don't want to mess with chicks and there doesn't seem to be many hatcheries that sell older birds (18 weeks or so). Anyway, I found one not too far from me. They are called Shook Poultry. I sent them my check yesterday reserving two hens to be picked up in June. Now, the problem....I was on their website this morning and saw a small statement that they trim the beaks of their hens and they say they have no choice in this. Is this necessary/humane/and will my birds look strange? I was not happy to read this, especially since I had just mailed them a check for two hens. Any opinions on this and what I should do about getting these birds? Thanks so much!!
    Dottie

2. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Beak trimming isn't very humane. They beak trim because they think it will stop the birds from pecking out other chooks feathers while establishing the pecking order. They way my 3 hens were beak trimmed was held down and there beak placed in between to hot blades (my hens were rescued as battery hens). It doesn't effect their look and they can still eat, but they have a hard time tearing tough things. If you can find another hatcher that doesn't trimtheir beaks that would be good because if they don't have people bying their chicks they wont sell them. It is also unatural for them to have their beaks cut.

3. drm315

drm315 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply nanaluvsgps. I'm kinda stuck now that I sent them a check. The birds weren't too expensive, so I don't guess that I HAVE to pick them up in June, it's just that I am finding it near impossible in my area to find older birds in the breeds that I want. If it were you, would you buy them or just not pick them up and be out the money?

4. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I would still go along with the purchase, as it doesn't effect their egg laying or personality, you just have to cut up your food scaps a little more thanwhat you would with un trimmed chickens :)

5. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey, If you want my opinion, I would also get the babies, but make a real fuss and find out if there is no way you can get untrimmed ones and speak to the manager and the person in charge of the process. Offer to pay extra for untrimmed ones. It's important that the people in charge are aware that not everyone in the industry agrees that beak trimming is "the norm". Norms need to be challanged to be changed. Every little bit and every person counts, trust me.

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    They look pretty much like what those in the UK call "battery hens". I would still take them since it is just two and you have already paid. Pat yourself on the back for rescuing them from the torture they went through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by