1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beak Trimming?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henhousefreak, Feb 17, 2013.

1. henhousefreak

henhousefreak Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    I recently purchased 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 1 Australorp. When I got home I realized that one of the Wyandotte hens had its entire top beak broken off. I wondered if it would grow back, but now know it won't. My concern is that her bottom beak is getting real long. I always put her pellets and scratch grains in a deep pile so she can pick them up but I'm noticing that she is getting smaller while the others are getting bigger.

My question is...can the bottom beak be trimmed without any pain and how far back can I trim it. Does it need to be trimmed to a point or can it be trimmed more square. I'm worried about my hen getting the nutrition she needs. I would appreciate any input I can get. Thank You!

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    We got a hen like that as well. I trimmed her bottom beak with nail clippers. You can do a bit at a time. Make sure you sterilize them. It does hurt. Make sure the food is deep enough so she can eat. They literary put there heads upside down to eat. She will survive as long as the food is deep enough. We also had to trim the side of her top beak because it slowly growed over the side. Can you post a picture.

3. Welsummer Champ

Welsummer Champ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Yes you can trim the bottom beak. I do for shows. Just use a finger file to file the beak back but don't do it to much because it will bleed.
    [​IMG]

4. henhousefreak

henhousefreak Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Here is the photo.
    [​IMG]

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    When you compare it to the other birds, does it look much longer at the bottom. That's worse than mine. I would say to cut half off that is exposed. Maybe start with a quarter first. It's going to bleed some, research the Internet to see what you can use to put on the end to help stop the bleeding.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  7. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2012
    Ouch, I wouldn't trim the bottom at all- I would just file it back until it's sensitive (she will let you know) and let it harden up before filing any more off. You can gradually make it shorter this way to an extent... but just blunt trimming it would be painful and traumatic.

Do you have a regular vet for other animals that you could call and seek free advice from? That's what I generally do. They are happy to tell me what they know since I'm in there so darn often for the mammals.

8. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2012
    I like this idea! I'd be careful that the dremel tool is turning with the growth direction (kinda like shaving in the direction of hair growth, rather than against the grain).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by