Beak Trimming

lol.png
Eating each other, that's funny. No, if they have access to outdoors their beaks should wear themselves down. No need to trim or debeak at all.

Quote:
Many hatcheries offer beak trimming as a service. It is done to keep the chicks from pecking each other. In crowded conditions this is considered prudent. I however don't think it's necessary if you have adequate space and I definitely don't like the look of a chicken with a portion of its top beak missing. It is very common for chicks to peck at each other and often times they will gang up on one chick and sometimes peck it to death. If you notice this remove that chick to another pen until it heals and is larger. The sight of blood increases the pecking so try to be observant.

Like others have said, chick pecking is usually a sign of another problem that can usually be easily fixed. I personally do not agree with beak trimming or debeaking as it is painful and can be dangerous for the chick, especially if the blood vessel is cut.

I actually have recent experience with this as I have a chick with a crossed beak and the top beak was interfering with the chick's ability to eat, so after consulting a vet, the top beak was trimmed back and the chick has been able to eat. While I didn't really want to have it done, it literally meant life or death for the chick.

Back
Top Bottom