1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beak Trouble

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Launi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Launi

Launi New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Hi I'm Launi. I'm new and happy to be here.

I currently have 2 Russian Orloffs in my flock and we've noticed that the littler of the two always seems to be eating. They free range all day but the little one-- Masha is always alone in the yard eating starter feed-- all day. Today we picked her up--we haven't done too much of that--and noticed that her beak is growing wrong. The bottom beak is too big or something. This poor girl can't even really close her beak. We realized that she is probably eating all the time because she has to work so hard to eat at all and has a terrible time picking up her food. What can we do to help our poor girl? Please tell me what to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thank you.

Launi

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sumi, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. Launi

Launi New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    The bottom beak is really long. Has anyone ever heard of the lower beak needing a trim? That seems really dangerous. But poor Masha's lower beak is really long. What do you think?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I've trimmed beaks before, but not the lower beak. I don't see why that would be a major problem, but I don't know.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think if you pile her food up in a dish, it will be easier to get a hold of some of it. I believe there is a "Crossbeak support thread." You could try to find it through the search box function.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by