Beaked in the eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Billed2aFault, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Billed2aFault

Billed2aFault New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    I have 4 male ducks about 5 month old a Pekin; Donald, 2 Rouens; Heath and Jack and a Buff named Arttie. Donald and Arttie are rather mellow but the Jokers are a riot. Today Jokers beaked Arttie in the eye he was separated but later towards the night while we put them up he was hiding in the ivy bush and wouldn't come out. As soon as he did I noticed his eye half closed, a bit teary and not foamy but kinda. make a note that they are completely healthy well fed ducks and i just want to know how to treat his eye.

2. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    I might try vetericyn spray on his eye, or ACV in his water, deep enough to put his whole head in. Chances are it'll probably heal up just fine on it's own.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    A simple rinse would be a good start. Make sure there's nothing in there (like a bit of dirt from the others beak). Coconut oil with help with healing and is anti bacterial.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When using ACV in their drinking water it's 1-2 tab. to 1 gallon of water. Hope you notice healing quickly.

5. Billed2aFault

Billed2aFault New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Thank you very much for all your input and I will try all of these things

6. Billed2aFault

Billed2aFault New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Where can i get this? is it specifically online?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can use simple eye solution you buy to clean contacts...Wash its face with warm water...I would not really mess around...Also pickling salt in a warm water bath for the eye will help...

8. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Apple Cider Vinegar you can find at pretty much any grocery store/pharmacy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by