Beaks bleeding and crops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolinewatts4, Feb 21, 2014.

1. carolinewatts4

carolinewatts4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Today I went to check on my chickens, there was blood and feathers everywhere. Everyone's comb was somewhat harmed (dark red/purple, other wise the normal color where they weren't harmed) and their beaks were hurt. 2 of them had chipped beaks. The others were bleeding were the beak meets the skin where the nose is. How can I treat these and help these heal the most efficiently?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Did you stop the bleeding? Do you mean chipped or broken beaks? Clean wounds on combs apply antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens). Wounds on beak,are they bleeding,and how severe are these wounds?

What i have done for beak wounds(currently treating one now as one of my roosters decided to get into a fight with one of my cats,he has a laceration to bottom beak near skin line,deep and 1/2 way around)is clean using a q-tip and warm water(squeeze out q-tip) then apply antibiotic ointment with q-tip(i use an eye antibiotic ointment for sties around face on beak). My boy is healing and beak is closing up,i admit to using a very diluted peroxide solution for cleaning once a day. Be careful to not get any water/ointment in nostrils,go slow.

You may notice your birds not eating much due to beak injuries(beak injuries are very painful)try giving soft foods or make a mash of their feed(my boy is currently eating sardines/bananas/ground beef,and a bit of his fermented feed w scratch)make sure they are drinking.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. carolinewatts4

Jun 1, 2013
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    One if them the beak chipped, the other the top layer came off a little. Everyone else has wounds on their combs

4. carolinewatts4

Jun 1, 2013
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Maybe this will help[​IMG][/IMG]

5. carolinewatts4

Jun 1, 2013
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by