Beaks grow back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Duckfarmer1, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    We have 2 batches of chickens, the older ones came with their beaks trimmed, so we thought we should do this to our younger ones. They are now 12 weeks. I wasn’t using this place much then and had chicken friends on Instagram...I asked what age to trim but none of them thought it was necessary...we did because we saw our hens picking at our rooster..mean Spike...so about a month ago we did it... I was traumatized. I can’t stand the idea of hurting anything even if it’s not really or only for a minute... some beaks bled a tiny bit...but we only trimmed a tiny bit. Well, they’re all back! Do we need to do this again..and, do we go further back this time? Ugh

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Crowing

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Usually the only places that trim beaks are large commercial industries. Chickens in overcrowded conditions tend to peck at each other more and that is why they do it.

3. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Yes I think they do grow back? I saw something on youtube where someone has to keep trimming the beak because it would always grow to long.

Miss Lydia and ValerieJ like this.
  4. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Only if they continue to peck, my breeder had "nose rings" for my leghorn pullets who would peck feathers off the legs of other chickens, she also said if I couldn't get them on to trim their beaks just a tiny bit to prevent them from pecking off the feathers.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  5. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    A lack of space and low protein is what I've noticed here will cause them to pick/eat feathers.

I only trim beaks that are overly long and cause problems with that bird.

chrissynemetz, Duck_life and ValerieJ like this.
  6. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    How many birds do you have, and how much space? Why are you trimming beaks? Are they pecking at each other? I would resolve the pecking problem and not the beak problem.

rbnk1, Noi, Cryss and 6 others like this.
  7. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I have two red sex links that have trimmed beaks because the farm does it when they're young so there's no pecking... In my opinion doing this to beaks creates issues for the chicken. They have a harder time getting bugs and other things off the ground. I hate that my RSL have trimmed beaks, but I'm glad I bought them because they're my best layers.

How many chickens do you have? How large is their run and coop? What feed do you use?

I agree with others that you should resolve the pecking problem not the beak issue.

8. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I only ever trim beaks if they're overgrown. It's just not necessary if your chickens have enough room and are fed a good diet. The reason some hatcheries do it is because the birds are grossly overcrowded and this leads to feather picking and worse...
    If you just have a few birds with feather picking issues there are other ways to break them :)

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Obviously a huge difference between trimming for health and maintenance, vs the commercial practice of cutting off the end of the beak so birds can't attack each other - it's like trimming the end of a cat's nail vs declawing, as the beak is not meant to grow back after such treatment.

I don't see any reason for birds in a backyard flock to have their beaks cut off in a commercial fashion.

feathermaid, Noi, CCUK and 6 others like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @Duckfarmer1 ValerieJ has hit the nail on the head and asked important questions, if you want 'trimless' help with the situation, please answer them.

ValerieJ and 21hens-incharge like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: