BEANS for chicken food

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
I was thinking to increase the protein in my girls feed and hit on the idea of supplementing their feed with soaked and/or cooked beans. Pintos, black beans and the like. Perhaps even raw beans. Has anyone done this?

Thanks, CritterHill. Do you know if there's any advantage to feeding cooked beans. Are they treats only or do they add a protein boost?

Quote:
Chicken nutrition is not my strong point. All I know is what is on the treats chart. Someone should come along shortly who has a clue, I imagine.

Its interesting how each flock, indeed each chicken has their own food preferences. I gave mine some cooked kidney beans the other day and they ran around with them for a little while, but in the end they were left to compost into the lawn...or maybe be scavanged by the squirrels.

Quote:
I believe the treats chart meant cooked dry beans were ok, but not uncooked. So I think they meant to say no raw beans?

I read a post yesterday that said they compared 2 chicks after eeding one an egg and the other not. I think everyday it didn't specify. After a week they had before and after pictures and the egg eating chick was noticably bigger than the ono egg eating chick. Almost forgot to say the egg was cooked.

Back
Top Bottom