Beans?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by offdagridsoon, May 16, 2010.

1. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    I have a question about beans (the dried/legume kind)... I did a search on here yesterday and saw that there shouldn't be a problem feeding chooks beans, ie: white kidney beans, etc, provided they were cooked. I fed our two girls some canned (and, therefore, cooked) white kidney beans yesterday for some variety, and also for the calcium in them. This was in the morning. Late in the afternoon and in the early evening, they seemed to be acting completely normally and seemed to be just fine. We put them in their coop for the night with nothing amiss. Nothing different was in the coop with them, and they had their usual feed and water in there with them. This morning, my husband opened the coop to find both of the hens dead, with no marks on them. Their feeder and waterer were knocked over, and both girls were on the floor of the coop on their backs. We have absolutely no idea what happened to them. The only thing I can think of that was different yesterday was that I fed them some cooked, canned white kidney beans. Is it possible that I unknowingly killed them?? I really hope that this was not the case....I feel horrible. Can somebody offer some insight into this? [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sure that the beans were not involved.

Gosh, I'm so sorry you lost them. I have no idea what happened, but sounds like maybe something got in the coop, but I don't know what would kill them without leaving a mark.

So sorry again,

Imp

3. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] Oh No! So sorry to hear about the loss of your hens. [​IMG] hope you are able to figure out what happened to them.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would get a necropsy. The beans certainly seem suspect, although I feed mine cooked canned beans from leftovers several times a week with no issues.

5. Maybe the beans were bad? OK, highly unlikely but maybe.
    I've had maybe five cans of stuff that was bad in like 45-50 years, but there were those cans.

Were their necks broken? I had an aggressive roo chase a four month old chick who ran into a 2 x 4 welded wire fence and broke its neck.
    It was quite dead, but no marks on it either.
    Could something have gotten in with them and scared them so that they went into a panic ran into the walls or something?
    Could explain the food and water tipped over.

6. fl_deb

fl_deb Songster

May 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you find out what caused this and that the beans were not the cause.

just a thought; but the canned beans....... were they home canned and if so perhaps "bad batch" in which case the girls may have saved your life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by