Bear attack! Chicken with small puncture, enlarged crop, watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urban farmer 07, Jun 25, 2010.

1. urban farmer 07

urban farmer 07 New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    Hi two nights ago my eglu was turned over by a bear. We lost one chicken and two were injured. One is on the mend after losing a lot of feathers and some skin under the wing. The other, I watched yesterday, and I just thought it was just sleepy then I realized it was injured. I bathed her in warm water, treated the wound, and massaged her crop. The bear must have bit down on her tail as she is missing a lot of feather there and the pucture is just at the top tip of her tail. Her vent is pulsing. Could the bear have crused an egg inside her? She is vomiting clear and sometimes milky liquid when I pick her up. Sour crop? I have removed her from the other chickens and she is resting in a warm dark place. Any suggestions? THanks. Also I have some penicilin that my son was allergic to. Can I give that to the chicken to help with the bacteria I've been reading about that develops in the crop?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    That sounds crazy. I can't really offer any advice here, but I'm going to hope someone else can!

3. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Wow, just the fact that she LIVED through a bear attack is unbelievableĀ… hope someone can give you some direction here. Best wishes to you and your hen:hugs

4. urban farmer 07

urban farmer 07 New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    I've looked through older posts so hopefully what I've already learned will help! Thanks.

5. urban farmer 07

urban farmer 07 New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    I just went to give her some yogurt again and she was having trouble breathing. Not able to stand. I put her on her side and she started to vomit. Yolkish looking stuff came out of her vent and then she squalked and died. I think she had internal injuries. I was able to see another puncture that I hadn't seen before it looked like fecal matter had come out of it. So perhaps a puctured intestine. Learning a lot with these chickens. More than I'd like. This is the third one I've lost in 3 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by