Bear attacked the run and chickens today

chickenbike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
We had a bear attack the run and try to get the chickens today. All seem okay except for some feather loss and scrapes on the tops of their heads. The rooster's comb area was scraped the most as he was doing his job and trying to protect the girls.

We fired a bear banger, which scared off the bear. One hen escaped, but we caught her. We have bears in the yard quite routinely, and we were glad to have been home during this guys visit!

We moved the ark closer to the house tonight and the dog is always an excellent alarm system for bears. I will keep an eye on the top of their heads to see that they heal all right.

Darn bear was well-fed too....a big, round fella, not skinny in the least!

The coop was only 50' or so from the house, but you know bears....no fear these days. Now they're just 15' right out the kitchen window.

Our property is fenced on 3 sides by an 8' cedar fence, but the 4th side is a creek. It's the creek that the wildlife use as their highway! Now they're in the furthest corner from the creek with the house in between.

As I said, we were just happy to have been home....and happy the bear banger scared him off!

When I fire a bear banger there is bear sausage and a new rug.
big_smile.png

Certainly in our area in BC....there are bears aplenty.....and they do go after chickens. More so in spring and fall as they're hungry in the spring after hibernating and in the fall, before hibernating, they are busy filling up on ALL food sources!

Many bears have destroyed sheds and entered garages. They are powerful and can be very determined when seeking food.

We're only on 1/2 an acre, not a clear enough line of site to stock the freezer and make a rug!
wink.png
Have to stick with the bear bangers I'm afraid!

Have you ever tried a bear board? 4x8 sheet of plywood with 16p nails driven into it densly and placed sharp side up. many use them in front of doors on remote cabins. Bears are smart enough to avoid them altogether.

Back
Top Bottom