Bear claw?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cassie, Jan 14, 2013.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    My SO used to wear what I think is a bear claw on a chain around his neck. At any rate it is the claw of some animal. It is inlaid with silver and has a turquoise on it. Does anyone know what the significance, if any, of this would be?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    People ( Native Americans ) used to wear claws of large animals around their neck to show how tough they were. If they killed the beast, they get to keep the claws and turn them into a power symbol. But now in days, people wear claws around their necks for good luck, or for fashion.

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    People (Native Americans) still wear bear claws, but each tribe has its own significance attached to the reason for wearing it, normally reasons far more complex than simply he or she killed it to prove how strong he or she is.
    If it is silver and turquoise it was probably meant for a native, or enthusiast buyer. Now a days most people wear it as fashion,especially non natives, but some traditionalists still wear it for its significance. Just like silver and turquoise has different meanings for each tribe from representation of spiritual meaning to, simply liking the jewelry it can be made into, to absolutely nothing because some tribes had little access to any of those items pre-European contact,.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by