bear country: Need coop ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by karnds, May 24, 2010.

1. karnds

karnds New Egg

May 24, 2010
    We live in bear country and my husband is finishing up the coop. We have a 10x10 fence with a converted dog house for their "sleeping quarters" I know I need an electric fence. but I was told that when the bear gets shocked he would charge forward and knock all the fencing down. anyone have chickens in bear country that can give me advice. Also what are some deterrents?
    This is our first time raising chickens. It's ALL new to us.
    thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Outside dogs!! [​IMG]

3. karnds

karnds New Egg

May 24, 2010
    my German Shepherd is the biggest baby, he'll hide behind me when he's scared. any other ideas?

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I don't know but my Lab. puppy was outside last night and a bear walked right in my yard so I screamed at the bear and it left.[​IMG]

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I would still opt for an electric fence. A good one. Not one of the $20.00 2 mile ones but something that would put a healthy sting on them.

6. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Motion sensor sprinklers. When the bear walks by, they will give him a nice scare. [​IMG]

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Although I really can't imagine a bear crashing forward (I don't know for certain), you could set an exterior picket out away from the main fence with some cheap step-in type posts. I'd still set a hot wire or two just of the main fence as well for anything that got past the picket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by