Bear got our chickens :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PinkFlamingoFrm, Aug 9, 2013.

1. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    We keep a few layers in a small coop in our back yard, but the majority of our chickens out at the farm.. We had 7 in the backyard...We have a video of him eating out of the garbage, but the camera didnt reach this far.. He had to break through a chainlink fence to get to them..

woke up to this:

There was 2 in the small coop, my niece & nephew wanted their own
    [​IMG]

We had 3 chickens left out of 7, sadly my niece & nephews chickens were both eaten :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& Heres the bear, my neighbor got a pic the day before..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I am so sorry about your chickens. I don't have to deal with bears, but I read on the forum here that the only way to deter a bear is with a hot wire. The bear will be back for your other surviving chickens. [​IMG]

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Sorry for your loss. We have black bears, and I have a neighbor that had the plywood ripped off his shed by a bear who was going after the chicken feed. Chicken wire is useless, it will keep chickens in, but dogs, raccoons, bears etc can just go through it like it is tissue paper. I have a double wall fence on my coop - the outer layer is thick gauge 2"x4" field fence to stop the larger animals, and then 1/2" hardware wire on the inside layer to stop smaller animals and other animals from reaching in. I've had a bobcat try and break in, and it kept him out, but I don't think anything I can build will stop a determined bear. If they want in your house, the will find a way! The best thing I can recommend is electric fencing. I have a net fence around the yard, and am going to expand it so it completely surrounds the coop. This should keep the bears out.

4. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, we actually moved them as soon as we found out about it. We took them out to the farm that we keep most of our chickens at. They are safely sleeping in a barn from now on. We just got a call from the neighbors, he is across the street at their house, eating from their garden right now.. he just wont go away.. we have contacted the game commission to come get him out of here & they didnt show.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    The thought of a bear that close to my house would have me moving!! So glad we only have foxes to worry about over here!

Don't you worry it could turn up when the kids are in the garden?

6. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    oh, on the video it walked right up to my porch..lol.. Yeah, the kids are under a very close eye until he gets caught.. I cant even take my poor doggy out to potty tonight because I cant chance it.. shes too aggressive and would probably try to fight the bear.
    Bears are everywhere around here, and this one, you can see his ear tag in the pics, which means he was trapped by the game commission somewhere else because he was causing trouble, and dumped here..[​IMG]

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Really? WTG on relocating - not!

8. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    yep lol exactly my thoughts.. I heard rumors they dumped 4 mountain lions out there too..cant wait till I run into one of them. I think whoever runs the game commission has a few screws loose..

9. PinkFlamingoFrm

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    thank you! wow thats crazy! yeah, i didnt expect the chicken wire to stand up to a bear, but he got through a chain link fence.. thats what I was surprised about.. and tore boards off the run like it was nothing.. busted screws in half. I guess he flipped a dumpster up at the neighbors and emptied 2 other dumpsters on my street..its crazy. Im not chancing having any animals here anymore..they will all go out to the farm..its so much safer.

10. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Maybe if they ever turn up to get the bear you could ask for the quickest number to ring when the dumped mountain lions turn up too. If they look sheepish you will know there's some truth to the rumors ;-)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by