Bear Hunting. Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by boykin2010, Sep 16, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have been given the oppurtunity to go bear hunting next month. The only problem is i dont have any idea how to hunt bear. I have been hunting deer, turkey, quail, dove, and duck all my life just not bears. I would love to be able to go and try something new but i need to know some things before i go.
    1. How do you tell the difference between male and female bears? Which one do hunters typically kill?
    2. Where do you shoot a bear? In the head, or shoulder?
    3. Is there a certain way to hunt them? Do you hunt over bait? Do you sit in a treestand or something different?
    4. What caliber weapon do people typically use? I was going to use a .270...
    5. What do you with the bear after its shot? I am guessing you clean it, but what parts do you eat?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Quote:Not sure if a chicken site is the best place to ask but since you did, I'll try and answer your questions.
    1. Aside from the obvious, Typically malea are bigger. Some state don't allow killing sows with cubs. Better check the regs.
    2. Unless it is charging you the best shot is through the vitala. (Heart/lungs)
    3. Some states allow baiting, some don't again check state regs. Treestands or groundblinds are usually the way to go.
    4. A 270 is plenty of gun for black bear. I would want something bigger for grizzlies.
    ( You didn't say where you would be hunting).
    5. I think like most big game. The shoulders, hindquarters and tenderloin.

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I didnt know where else to ask. I googled it but didnt really get answers from someone who actually bear hunts. I posted it under random ramblings and there is a lot of things on this forum that arent animal related. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and I will look into my states reg. I live in south georgia so i will be hunting black bear.

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband went bear hunting last fall. He got a male black bear. He had a professional processor do the processing. I got burger, roasts, and loins. The bear meat (and I can't stand venison and some other wild game) was wonderful! It tasted very much like beef except sweeter. I would freak out if my husband had hunted in a ground blind. He was in a tree by a baited spot. Good luck!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

5. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Depends on where you are huntinga nd the type of hunting.

Ive seen bears take hits from a 44 at 5 yards and never flinch LOL!

Any deer caliber round will work on most Blacks

[​IMG]

We let the little ones go

[​IMG]

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
  7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Your 270 will work fine. Shoot them in the same place you would a deer. I use a bow and try for behind the shoulder and have never had a problem. I have killed a few dozen. PM if you have any ??

8. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    You can render the fat and make lard. The fat is on the outside of the meat, not marbled so the meat is not greasy. You can use the skin of course for a nice rug.
    When you see one at distance notice the head in proportion to the rest of the body. Big head = small body, younger bear. Small head =large bear.
    I only know this much because my son in Alaska tries to get one every year for red meat, otherwise they eat fish all winter. I also know that when one walks up to the glass door of the room you sleep in it can scare you to death (well, not actually). I could at least tell it was a young bear (2nd year cub).
    Happy hunting!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    If you are hunting one for meat, take a small young bear. Some of the big ones are so bad that you just can't stand to cook them they stink so bad.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try searching hunting or fishing forums for your state and ask there.

When to hunt, where to hunt, which ones you can hunt, guns you can use, bait vs not all depend on which state or even territory/hunting unit you are hunting in within the state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by