Bear or Coons???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lovethoseeggs, Apr 1, 2012.

1. lovethoseeggs

lovethoseeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Had a visitor(s) last night. Luckily all the girls and boy are safe but their feed was everywhere, except the scratch that was totally gone. For info the container that held the feed (about 150 pounds total including the oyster shells) was moved off the cinder blocks it sat on and rolled over a couple times, the latches were broken. Husband and I believe it was a bear but are not sure, no tracks could be found, even with the bucket of water we sat in front of it. (You see about two weeks ago the container was moved but not opened.) Can coons do this? Wanda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think you have a bear. I've never heard of or seen a coon that could roll a 150lbs worth of feed around like that. The claw marks look bearish as well. Lock up your feed, it'll be back to check if you've restocked! Good luck!

3. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Looks like a bear to me. I would put up electric wire or he could be in the coop next.

4. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks you all have confirm our suspicion. This is the second visit, first visit was not successful in breaking the clasps. Have learned a lesson and feed will be moved, that is what I was able to save.

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I guess it could have been a bear but in our experience a bear could do a lot more damage then just break open a feed container. I am certain that any bear around here could have broken that container open without even trying. I have also seen bears in the area smash the side out of a wooden coop in order to get to the chickens. I would probably assume bear and take measures, like electric fence, but my gut tells me that it is not a bear. Also, if there are any areas that would show prints you would have seen the bear prints. They are fairly obvious and would be around the area if it were bears.

6. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Bear....that is the only thing that could have rolled that container that far, busted the metal clip, and put that deep of claw marks in that heavy duty plastic.

7. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Well Mr. Bear did not return last night. We have the light outside the coop turned back on all night long. Did this for two weeks after his first visit when he came through but was unsuccessful in opening the black container, but was successful in moving it off the block and rolling it a few times. Since we have extension cords going across the yard and the grass needed cutting the cords were rolled up and not put back out. (First mistake) Two days later Mr. Bear visited again and this time left with a full belly of scratch. [​IMG] Learned a lesson light will stay on as long as they are needed.

Do you all think he will come back for the chickens if no feed is found? I know electric fencing would hopefully keep it out of the pen/coop but that just isn't feasible right now.

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have had a bit of experience with bears both in camping and where I live. In my experience and everything I know about bears a light will do nothing to deter a bear. If you set up a motion light with a piercing alarm that may startle a bear a couple of times until it gets used to it. Bears are not easily detered by the normal means. If it was a bear and it comes back it is very likely to destroy the coop.

9. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia

Not really what I wanted to hear about the light idea. Guess it will be a wait and see situation here. So if I put doggie do out around the coop and pen will that make the bear go away????

10. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Human hair...go to the local shop and get hair clipings. With that, dog hair/fur will work and you don't have to smell the doo. However, if the bear gets use to it all bets are off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by