Bear-proofing the run

Raptorchick

Serama-mama
May 21, 2018
Pine Grove, CA
Hi all,
I've recently moved into bear country, and now have at least one new, very large predator problem. My chickens have been here three months, long enough for me to hatch 16 chicks, and we attempted to reinforce the coop with extra fencing, also buried the fence deep to keep out diggers. Everyone was locked up at sunset, let out during the day, fed once daily and food kept put away. I underestimated the bear threat. It came around 3am, tore off the fence, and ripped off a side of the coop. The chickens/chicks we have left are now in smaller coops/runs (2 separate ones) with hot wire netting around, and we are in the process of building a hot wire netted fence round our house/yard. We've also installed multiple motion sensor lights around the coops. Problem is, they need more space. I'm looking at the chain-link dog runs. Is chain link stronger than quarter-inch hardware cloth... Would a bear face more difficulty tearing down a chain link dog run than a wooden built run with hardware cloth? It will be surrounded by electric fence netting, but I'm still looking for the most secure option. Thanks ahead :)

I can sympathize. I have bears, and a long history of them trying to cash in on my chickens. Bobcats are a close second, and may be even more difficult.

I use strands of hot wire around coops and runs and a solar fence charger. Not netting. Here's the thing with bears. They are only vulnerable to electric shock if you can trick them into putting their wet nose or tongue on the hot wire. Their thick fur is impervious to shock.

I've watched as they saunter up to the run and put their nose on the wire and get a 10,000 volt shock, which I can testify from personal experience from touching it with sweaty skin, it is like being hit by a 2 x 4.

How do you trick a bear into doing this? Put peanut butter on the hot wire. That bear that encounters a hot fence in this manner will not return. I only have a bear visit every couple of years due to the lesson learned. Only when a new bear moves into the territory will I see another visit, and believe me, there is no scarcity of bears where I live.

Bobcats are a bit different. They are very good climbers and are clever. They will circle a run looking for vulnerabilities, then will take advantage, usually panicking the chickens into escaping. When I have a bobcat that is making repeat visits, I wrap a canned mackerel into a "burrito" of chicken wire and wire that bundle onto the hot wire in lieu of peanut butter. Same effect. The bobcat will try to tear the fish out of the wire wrap and get a painful message, never to return.

P1010001.JPG
The hot wire configuration doesn't need to be obstructive and can be minimal and still be effective as long as peanut butter is dabbed on it at intervals.

I know we have bears here but have never actually seen one on my property. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and so far nothing has penetrated.

Thank you! I will definitely be using the peanut butter technique. It's been about a week since the bear came through, and I'm not confident about the netting, I can touch it and it shocks, but it's nothing like getting hit by a 2x4. I'm bringing the few chickens I have left indoors until I can get more voltage... I'm also using a solar powered charger, maybe if I use two or three wires instead of netting it will be stronger. Thanks again!

Attachments

• MFWP_Electric Fencing Guide_MARCH 2017.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Montana guide is good information......for anyone wanting an E-fence.....not just those fighting bears.

Have come to the conclusion........fence charger should be 1 joule min......or rated for about 10 miles of fence. 3 joule and 30 mile fence rating is better.

Aside from stereo instructions......there may be few things in the history of written language more confusing than information trying to explain power ratings and proper earth ground systems of fence chargers.

Back
Top Bottom