Bear ripping into chicken barn

mrsfeig86

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2016
Bradford County, Pennsylvania
My family will soon be moving in with my parents. The last few months they have been having problems with a bear after the bear tore boards off my Dads chicken barn and ate the last 4 chickens he had left. No matter what the game commissioner does he can't seem to catch this bear and this bear is a jerk so far he has ripped up the decks at neighbors, tore apart an outdoor freezer, ripped apart the wood barn door.
I'm so scared to move my chicks and ducks over there but will soon have no choice and even more scared to be moving into a camper about 100ft away from the "winter chicken barn" that got torn into..
Any suggestions to get rid of this bear? I remember sleeping on the deck at my parents house in the summer and never having problems I have no idea what's going on! Btw this is happening in Northeast PA so it's definitely a black bear nothing crazier then that.

Thank you!

That is definitely a nuisance bear and needs to be shot. I don't blame you for being nervous. Electric poultry netting is probably your only choice.....and shoot that bear! I'm really kinda surprised the authorities aren't making a bigger effort to track this bear. A child could end up getting hurt. :(

We were told we live in the country what do you expect... And also if we shoot the bear plan to go jail!! I thought the game commission was supposed to help with these situations a bit better then this... It's not like I haven't lived in the area my whole life and I don't understand that several bears could be doing this.

Seriously?? Who told you this? Is there someone higher up the ladder you can talk to? Maybe you and your neighbors can rally together to get something done? I would think that your local or state DNR, game commissioner, or whoever your local wildlife people are would not want this bear in a populated area.

Where do you live? I am in the country and I just saw a young bear the other day. A neighbor is monitoring it on his field cam but I am pretty sure if it becomes a nuisance someone will come remove it or it can be shot. Now I know they removed a tagged mom and two cubs earlier in the spring and everyone was watching her since she couldn't be shot because she had a tag. Maybe I am misinformed. Or confused. I don't understand if it is creating that much destruction why it can't be shot. Is it a tagged bear? I guess you need to invest in some electric poultry netting if you want to keep chickens...

What kind of bear are we talking about?

Seriously?? Who told you this?  Is there someone higher up the ladder you can talk to? Maybe you and your neighbors can rally together to get something done? I would think that your local or state DNR, game commissioner, or whoever your local wildlife people are would not want this bear in a populated area. 
[/quote

The local the game warden told us this.
He's set the bear trap twice for 2 days but the bear wasn't around then.

Quote: I think I'd check higher up the food chain from your local guy - maybe someone at state level. As far as your chickens go, you could look into electric wire around their enclosure. That's what the beekeepers do in the northern part of my state to keep the bears out of the hives. I'd get a high-powered fencer and put up several strands. (When we fence in our sweet corn, I tell DH to set it on "fry". No, the fencer doesn't have that setting, but sometimes I wish it did...)

It's a black bear
Where do you live? I am in the country and I just saw a young bear the other day. A neighbor is monitoring it on his field cam but I am pretty sure if it becomes a nuisance someone will come remove it or it can be shot. Now I know they removed a tagged mom and two cubs earlier in the spring and everyone was watching her since she couldn't be shot because she had a tag. Maybe I am misinformed. Or confused. I don't understand if it is creating that much destruction why it can't be shot. Is it a tagged bear? I guess you need to invest in some electric poultry netting if you want to keep chickens...

What kind of bear are we talking about?

It's a black bear, unsure of size or anything. My parents live on a pretty busy dirt road going to a lake in a very rural country area, no stores for 30min drive.
We were never given a reason what's specials bout that bear can it destroy animals and property without them caring.

Back
Top Bottom