Bear tried to climb over fence, Pyr chased it away

chicknerd

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
NH
I have 19 chicks/pullets in a secure coop and enclosed pen with chicken wire and 2x4 welded wire. I have a good hardware cloth apron around everywhere. My husband thought I was crazy to have so much protection. I have all the parts for the electric fence but everyone in my neighborhood thought I was being paranoid.

Two days ago at 3:30 PM in THE AFTERNOON my sister walked out to the gate and found a black bear climbing over our regular fence. At the same time our Great Pyr, Inka came charging around the corner of the house and went after the bear. The bear immediately scampered off and went back into the woods across the street. Go Inka! (she has already chased away racoons and a fox from the coop!)

Phew!

I do not think it knows about the chickens yet, it usually is looking for bird seed. But the electric fence is going up this weekend!!!

I live in a development with houses on 2 acres, in south central NH. So yes, bears can be anywhere......

G O O D dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Extra treats today
smile.png

I lived in bear country for a number of years and lost many birds to them. What I found out about an electric fence, which is a must in bear country. Run the juice though barb wire. My reasoning for this is the same reason they use barb wire for sheep, the bear will push against the round wire with it's hair and not get chocked. But with the barb wire, the bards pierce the hair and touch the skin. And remember, you need to keep the ground damp under the fence and you can't have any grass touching the wires. Another good trick to use is keep a radio on in the coop. Have it on a talk show, the human voice seems to keep predators at bay. If a bear wants in, it will get in. Keep a gun handy, a dog will not stop a HUNGRY bear.

Great Girl you have there...but someone is right..if that bear, being a female has cubs and needs to feed them, she will not let a dog stop her without a fight...or any bear with or without cubs if hungry enough will fight for it's food....Inka did good this time, but keep an eye on her and the little chicks. if I saw a bear on my property, I would probably, well not probably. I WOULD pass out!

Back
Top Bottom