Bear visit - I am worried sick - electric fence ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stcroixusvi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We had a bear visit this afternoon while we were out, and the dogs were inside. Our neighbor saw him and said the bear was HUGE. He broke a window in the coop - we have half inch hardware cloth, fortunately, but some of the chicken wire that covers the top of the run was pushed in, and the hardware cloth in the run on the top was bent back.

We are going to get some sort of electric fence, but what do you suggest on a budget?

I would be heartsick if anything happened to the chickens. Thanks for your help.

2. TruGritCkn

TruGritCkn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    MT ~3 yr ckns
    I would stalk that bear and make him think hell lives in your coop. Clean up anything a bear could eat trash, dog food, cat food, bird food, etc.... Wait and watch for it to come around.... AND SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!! Multiple Bear Sprays in the face! Shotguns in the air! (Don't shoot the bear). Flood lamps on like your calling in E.T. Sick the dogs. Honk the horns. Throw cans with rock. Oh man I would be all over that bear in a bad way. Of course staying at a relatively safe distance. [​IMG]

You need to call the Wildlife Department and report the bear as a nuisance. Hunting season may be opening soon and you can request assistance from a bear hunter with a permit. Maybe an archery hunter. I would use lights music dogs an old tv turned on, chili peppers. Call the police. The bear will not want to give up so you have to do something for sure. I had a small jack russel chase off a black bear before but I have heard of one male black bear that took after people. I hope it is not a grizzly. [​IMG] Then install super fencing with electricity and maybe a motion detector light.

A small electric fence charger can be purchased for about $80.00 like a Gallagher small Kid charger new but maybe you can find a used one cheaper. Send out an all points bulletin, help needed on craigs list for parts. Wrap your coop like a Christmas present in hot wire. Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I would also be very worried... If you do a search here there have been other such issues for folks and perhaps you can get an idea or two. Best of luck....

4. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    It is a black bear, common around here. In fact, many of the public park areas around Mt Mitchell are now closed because of increased bear activity. I did find this morning that he had gone through my shavings pile that has seed in it. I never thought about that - and am so good about not feeding the birds. [​IMG] Wildlife won't do anything unless the bear is a danger. They don't relocate animals, they euthanize them.

It may be we just have to super-reinforce our peeps, and keep the dogs outside. The bear will move on - they usually do. I've just never had to worry about a flock of chickens before.

5. mossyoak

mossyoak New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    bottom line u cant stop em if they want in,,, unless u trap em or shoot em,, if they want in ur coop they will get in,,,,, ripped a metal frame door off my cabin and ate my stove,,lol

6. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    That is just terrible! We have church members that live in an area where bears come around all the time. They do not have secure coops by any means and they have lost many chickens. Some of them are chickens we have given them and that was sure sad for our daughter.
    Not sure if it was by a bear, coons, skunks, dogs/coy/wolf, cats, weasels, minks, bob cats, etc. Just about anything in the forest will get a chicken if the coop is not sound and critter proof.
    Now on the other hand, a bear is a different story since they have such strength and can get through just about anything.
    Thank God we have not had that issue or any other issue. It would just be horrible if we did. I think I would be crying with my daughter.
    Try some of the stuff listed in these post. You have to do something to get that bear moving on. It is not safe for you and your family or your chickens. I will remember these things should we encounter a bear.
    I saw a bear about 1/2 mile down the road a few years back when I was coming home from work one day. It was exciting to see a bear in real life but then I began to think about how unsafe it was that the bear was that close to our house. That bear was going up in neighbors yards. A few weeks later there was an article in the paper of a bear that was being relocated for the 2nd time because of being a nuscence and it was 4 miles from our house. We think it must of been the bear since we and others neighbors have not seen one again. We know they are out there but would prefer they just stay out there and not here.
    When you live in or around the National Forest you will encounter bears here and there but I would prefer they be a long ways from my house.
    Hope you figure out what to do.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    There's no bears here but I have read threads that hot wire will definitely help deter bears. I read that you put some peanut butter on the wire to attract the bear he tries to eat it & gets shocked & problem solved. Just what I have read. Makes sense to me.

8. mishellez

mishellez Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    Northwest New Jersey
    I live in Northern NJ, black bear central. We have bear in our yard all the time, either on their way to or from the center of town where the ShopRite, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, etc dumpsters are. They've even come through when we free range in the early evening and the chickens are all over the yard. We have had zero losses due to bears...partly because we have been lucky, as I am well aware that a determined bear can pretty much get through anything it decides is an obstacle to something it wants. But I do have a suggestion that we use here all the time, besides the viable options of hot wire, shooting, trapping, etc. We keep packages of firecrackers by the back door (Howling Wolf and Silver Salute packs of 10). Bear comes strolling through, chickens out and running wild or not, we light 'em up and chuck 'em. Doesn't bother the hens in the least but I've seen bears literally come off the ground and run in mid-air trying to get away. Sows, boars, large, small, cubs, no cubs, doesn't matter. Neighbors won't call the cops off someone tossing out a few firecrackers, there's no chance of a poorly placed or missed shot and no need to get the DNR involved. And, to date, the bears WILL NOT come back to get the chickens at another date or when we're out or sleeping. Maybe they wander through at another time since I can't tell one from another, but along the edge of my property and never to the chickens or the coop. It's like they know better when they cut through.

9. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    Brillant Idea! I wonder if it would work with my neighbors' rowdy kids? [​IMG]

10. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    this is not a bad idea at all. I have not slept in a couple of nights. I saw the bear yesterday about 100 yards from the coop - and he is HUGE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by