1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bearded d'Anvers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EmptyNest, Apr 20, 2008.

1. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    Does this look like a bearded d'anvers? As a small chick it was marked identical to the others but it's HUGE compared to them now - at least 4x's larger. It's 7 weeks old. They're only supposed to weigh 22-26 ounces at maturity. Did I just get a giant one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    For one, its a roo whatever it is.
    Looks like a Quail d'Anver, if you got it from a hatchery it probably wont match the standard weight or height wise.
    They breed for quantity, not quality, and so far most bantams I bought from hatcheries were at least twice the size of a good quality bird of the same breed from a breeder..

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a d'Anver crose to me. And I'm not sure about it being a boy, its comb is pretty small and light. Though I do see some shiny feathers, though some of my girls have those. I'd have to see if it has saddle feathers or not to be sure. Very pretty, either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by