Bearded dragons puzzle

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenlover210, Jan 2, 2009.

1. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Hi I was wondering what supplys I would need for a baby bearded dragon. I hope to get one before the end of next week. I need to know the needed supplys. And also a way to convince my parents haha

2. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Hi!

The first thing you need to know is hatchling beardies are a TON of work and can be expensive for the CORRECT and healthy set-up.

Please do not be fooled by the pet store employee who will often try to sell you things that are NOT healthy for a beardie.

Let's start with things you do NOT need.

Mealworms - too much chitin, beardies have a kinked digestive tract and there are hundreds of reports of beardies dieing from impaction after eating mealies.

Sand of any type - While adults are often housed safely on playsand, babies should NOT be. Beardies taste everything in their environment and will often become impacted by sand. Do NOT buy calci-sand! This stuff is NOT digestible and is dangerous. This has been proven time and time again to cause serious issues in beardies.

Things you will need.

A large enough enclosure. - A hatchling can live happily in a 20 gallon long for a while, but beardies grow fast when fed properly. An adult will need a forty or fifty gallon BREEDER tank.

UVB light. - This is ESSENTIAL to a healthy bearded dragon. They MUST have UVB to grow properly. Lack of this can cause MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). You will need at least a 10.0 Bulb, and the dragon must be able to bask within twelve inches of it.

Heat. - A heat lamp, separate from the UVB. Beardies need a very high temperature basking spot, approximately 101 degrees Fahrenheit. The ambient enclosure temperate should be around eighty.

Temperature Probe - Please don't use the little stick on thermometers. They are pretty useless. The best thing to get is a probe for meat to measure temperature.

Substrate - What goes in the bottom of the tank. With hatchlings, you NEVER want to use a particle substrate. Do NOT use aspen, walnut shell, bark, sand, etc. Use papertowels, reptile carpet, astroturf, or the most recommended, non-adhesive shelf liner that you can find easily at wal-mart.

Hides - He will need a place to hide. A half log works well.

Diet - Hatchling dragons need LOTS of food, mostly insects. Recommended insects are crickets, phoenix worms, silkworms. They will eat A LOT of food. You would be better off ordering online. If you need help finding a place to order, just tell me and I will help you out. The baby should also get salad. NO iceburg lettuce. You will want to feed dark greens (except spinach) and stuff like shaved squash is always nice. As the dragon gets older, it will eat more salad and less insects. The prepared diets you see at the store can be mixed with the salad and eventually given as the bulk of the diet.

Calcium powder - You can get this at the pet store and the insects being fed should be dusted with this around three times a week.

The beardie - I personally would recommend you ask about some online breeders and order from them, but if you must buy a beardie from the store, look for one that looks alert and bright eyed and is larger than the others.

There is MUCH more to know! But you will not regret it, beardies are among the best lizards you can have. I love mine with a passion.

This is an excellent site. I am linking straight to their care sheet, and their forums are a WONDERFUL place to start learning about bearded dragon care.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

GOOD LUCK! Don't be afraid to ask questions, I have been working with and rescuing reptiles for about fifteen years now, and there are several other experienced reptile keepers on here as well.

3. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Epona's advice is excellent. I just want to add a little about the UVB light since it is so vital. Make sure it is a quality bulb and don't put any plastic or glass between the bulb and the beardie. Also the bulb will need to be changed every few months even though it will continue to put out light. The UVB output diminishes over time. You may not need a separate basking light if you use a mercury vapor UVB bulb instead of a fluorescent. They put out heat as well as UVB and depending on your room temps, it may be enough.

And seriously, they eat a ton when they're babies! Be prepared to order lots of bugs at first. They're not a cheap pet to get started.

4. chickenlover210

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Wow thanks-I really want to get one-I took my parents to the store and we got to hold it-when we got r chickens we didna project-for these guys on entering the bacement the builders put a plant thing like 4' by8' so were gonna build like a 120 gallon custom tank!! And maybe seperate it later on get other animals or another beeardie yah

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    here goes a nice picture of my brothers bearded dragons this was like a 400 dollar dragon, he raised it from practically a baby so if you tace good care of it you can have something like this what kind is your? Also make sure you have something for them to climb up on they love climbing they always want to be as high as they can

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  6. chickenlover210

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    im prob. gonna get it at the store. my whole family is sceptic about not seeing it and getting it over the mail, oh well im gonna name it casper. and i picked it out already but have not reserved it. NOBODY TAKE HIM/HER!!![​IMG]

7. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Let your family know that if you choose from a reputable breeder with a long history of being a GOOD GUY, you will not be disappointed. I buy reptiles online all the time and because I research the person I am buying from, I have yet to have a problem.

If you need more help finding someone to buy from, let me know. I posted in your thread in the classifieds too.

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Okay heres a parent talking...you probably heard this already...

I have a son that begged us for a lizard.....he did some reading and decided he wanted a beardie....he begged us ....we told him to raise the money for it...gave him the lecture...went to a reptile store about and hour away ...we did some research and waited for the beardies to be old enough to be sold ....his dad and him made a beautiful cage and we had it all ready....."Viper" came home....sweet little thing....and he grew into a big guy ..entertained us along the way.....and as the lizard grew so did my sons interests and the teenage years started...and then maybe three years later the lizard became my responsiblity.....

Moral of the story....think about what your going to be doing in three .....five....10 years from now its only fair to the lizard and oh yes....your mom...hee hee hee!!!
    By the way I found Viper a nice home....he has a girlfriend now..and other buddies to hang with..I was very very lucky that one of our customers has bearded dragons also...for years !!!..and guess what my teenager of a son didnt even notice he was gone !!! But my electricity bill did !!!!ha ha ha!!
    Dont get me wrong I loved having him and so did my son at one point....but I have to many other critters to care for that "are " my childrens hee hee hee !!

9. chickenlover210

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Sorry u had to give up viper [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by