Bearded Silkie Chicks: How to tell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Feb 15, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I was wondering, how can you tell if a Silkie chick is going to be bearded or not? Is it the big poof on top of the head?

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    They will have fluff on their neck under their beak. Crest size has nothing to do with bearded or non-bearded. [​IMG]

3. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Oh I see it!!! I found some pictures on Feathersite.com Its that extra poof, kinda on their cheeks, that looks like... a beard!
    [​IMG]

Thanks Angie! [​IMG]

4. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I'm a rookie here but silkies also have 5 toes instead of the normal 4. Correct me if I'm wrong....please.

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yup, they have 5 toes.

6. trishok8

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I have three silkies and i have just started to notice that two have puffy cheeks and one does not so i think I'm going to end up with two bearded.

Also, my son notices that one of our silkies Rosie has SEVEN TOES!!!!!

I should take and pic and post it.

7. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    bearded literly means that they have a beard right under the chin that goes from ear to ear and yes you can tell by its a liittle more floofy under the chin of the chick

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's polydactaly and rather common in silkies. Generally you don't want to breed them though as they can pass that gene on.

9. trishok8

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    Thanks Silkiechicken----we still love her---we call her Rosie with to many toesies.

I was holding her last night, she was a week old Tuesday, and I flipped her over onto her back and was rubbing her belly and there, staring me in the face was two little feet with 12 toes.

Cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by