Bearded Silkie Questions

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
I was just at a local poultry auction and was over the moon that not only was there Bearded Silkies, but I managed to win the bid on one! I have never seen one where I am in Western Australia, and few people have them.

259718084_631678427967764_1653548492513316474_n.jpg

Pullet, age unknown but not quite as big as my laying silkie girls.

I'm not sure if she is heterozygous or homogenous for Bearded. Is there any way to tell other than test breeding? Shes still young and I can see more feathers growing into her beard, but its small.

She only has four toes, but both of my pure silkie roosters have 5. If I bred her to either of them, and then bred their bearded daughters back to their dad or the other rooster, would this fix the flaw? I mostly want to use her in breeding to introduce Bearded into my silkies and satins. My two silkie roos are a Partridge and a Black.

I'm not going to introduce into satins until I've managed to breed bearded black silkies, as my Satin roos are a Black and a Paint.

Any advice in welcome! Thank you!

I was just at a local poultry auction and was over the moon that not only was there Bearded Silkies, but I managed to win the bid on one! I have never seen one where I am in Western Australia, and few people have them.

View attachment 2910631
Pullet, age unknown but not quite as big as my laying silkie girls.

I'm not sure if she is heterozygous or homogenous for Bearded. Is there any way to tell other than test breeding? Shes still young and I can see more feathers growing into her beard, but its small.

She only has four toes, but both of my pure silkie roosters have 5. If I bred her to either of them, and then bred their bearded daughters back to their dad or the other rooster, would this fix the flaw? I mostly want to use her in breeding to introduce Bearded into my silkies and satins. My two silkie roos are a Partridge and a Black.

I'm not going to introduce into satins until I've managed to breed bearded black silkies, as my Satin roos are a Black and a Paint.

Any advice in welcome! Thank you!
Hey! Thats wonderful! We got a brown one at a poultry show aswell and had to get more so she had some friends. Im not great at breeding, but i think the genes of the male with five toes would carry out the dominant gene, making the chicks five toes. I could be tottally incorrect here, thats just my thought. Heres a article that may help from someone else

if you scroll down, they explain it better Then me i think

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/four-toes-on-a-silkie.497737/

(again please dont go off just my advice, im not a expert at this at all, thats just what i think)

Back
Top Bottom