1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bearded Silkie Rooster X Non-Bearded Silkie Hen =????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenyouout, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Chickenyouout

Chickenyouout Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Zapata, Texas
    I have a silkie rooster and a non bearded silkie hen and i really want a bearded hen so i was wondering if i hatch eggs from the pair is it a high chance that i will get bearded silkies or am i just wasting my time and should just order bearded silkies?

this is the hen

[​IMG]

2. Windchyme

Windchyme Silkies n Sebs

Quote:Go ahead and breed. Non bearded is a recessive trait and bred to a bearded it will go underground again. If the other doesn't carry the non bearded gene you'll get all bearded babies. If it does you'll get some non bearded and some bearded.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The muff/beard gene is incompletely dominant. Breeding a bearded to a non-bearded will give you partially bearded babies. They will not have full beards, but will not be non bearded, either. Unless one or both parents are partially bearded. In that case you will get 25% with full beards, 25% non-bearded and 50% partially bearded.

Your hen does not look non-bearded, but more likely to be partially bearded.

4. Windchyme

Windchyme Silkies n Sebs

Quote:You know I have heard that though I was told by an old breeder to go ahead and use her, but what you are saying didn't play out in my own pens. I have a hen I am selling right now that is completely nekky non bearded and she made babies with full beards and muffs. So how does that work I am wondering?

5. Chickenyouout

Chickenyouout Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Zapata, Texas
    thanks everyone ...i guess it won't hurt to try.....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by