1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bearded x Non-Bearded Silkies = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Dec 9, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    What do you get when you breed bearded and non-bearded silkies? Are they partially bearded? Or are a percentage bearded and the others not?

Oh, and what colors can be shown? I didn't know until this weekend that Splash could be shown.

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    You get a silkie with a tiny beard. The beard is the dominant trait, from what I've seen with a friend's breeding stock. But it isn't just dominant-recessive, the beard is more of an incomplete dominance, so the beard will be there, but you won't have much of it.

Edit to add: Any variety can be shown as long as it's been accepted into the american standard of perfection. And Splash, as you stated.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  3. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

If that is the case, the name for it is actually Co-dominant. Where one copy of the gene makes a tiny beard and two copies makes a normal beard.
    I know topknots are kinda like that, but there are more than one gene at work on topknots.
    I dont know alot about beard/muff genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by