Bears Bears and more Bears

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dmiravalle, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    So here is the deal, we have been dealing with bears for a VERY long time. We have learned that the welding wire dog kennels, including the top works well. But we want to increase our flock and are looking for any other successful ideas. I have heard some people have good luck with the hot wire netting? Any opinions? Just plain hot wire/rope doesn't seem to faze the bears. And with the prices increasing on metal, adding more "kennels" doesn't seem to be a good alternative anymore. Anyone with bear experience????

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I would simply try a really big fence charger first. Buy one with a range of 50 miles or more. That should be enough voltage to get their attention. Easiest thing to do if you already have a charger and hotwires strung. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have never dealt with bears although they did get into the neighbor's bee hives this spring. From what I have read it appears that if they touch the hot wire with their coats they can not feel the shock. To counter this "insulation" I have heard that it is necessary to hang bacon strips from the wire so that they contact it with their noses or mouth. Supposedly once educated they stay away.

4. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Ok, we must have really retarded bears, because they just don't learn. My neighbor has australian hot wire and the bears still slip through it.

5. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    its not the range of the fence charger it is the output of JOULES that you need to pay attention to. the higher the joule the hotter the fence. a box that puts out 1 joule isnt much of a deterrent for a determined animal, my horses will push thru that if they really want out. 3 joules snaps em pretty hard and they dont touch it. if I wanted to keep a bear out, I think I would find a 10 joule output....just dont let your kids or pets touch it...

6. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Quote:That is the hard part, got kids and pets!!!! Plus don't want to fry my birds in the process, that is why I was thinking the poultry netting from Premier 1, has anyone tried it???

7. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    You might not have a good enough ground for the hot wire to work. I deal with lots of bears, yotes, wolves, wolverines you name an Alaskan predator and its here, but where I live 99% of the time you can not get a ground that will let the WAHM of your fence work. To fix this I run 2 wires about an inch apart, the hot wire and the ground. This way no matter what when they touch the hot wire they get the ground it it will drop a grown man, 1600# horse or even a nice 9ft grizz to its knees. As for kids, adults and pets they will only touch it once and wont go back, if my hubbys dumb blood hound can figure it out anyone can. Heck even my Firefighters have learned not to touch it and that says quite a bit [​IMG]

I wouldnt use the netting as I dont see how you can get that 100% ground everytime they touch it, that or a 300 win mag will take care of your problem, along with giving you some great meat in your freezer [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    LOL! I wonder about the ground, we definetely get enough for the horses and cows. They stay with in the hot wire. I will have to experiment some more. I might just have to invest in more of the dog kennels. Seems the only sure fire thing so far.

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Au contraire'. The joule output is what determines the effective distance because the wire has a measurable impedance per mile. So a 50-mile or 100-mile charger will pack quite a wallop appliled to a chicken run of a few hundred feet. For bears and wild hogs, an older version might be better. The older versions do not have such a short duration charge. In fact, some will even cause grass fires if dry dead grass touches them. They will definitely get the attention of a bear or hog. Then again, you might be able to buy one for human security. That might be hard to do if one is not a licensed security business tho. State regs vary. Other countries make stronger versions too, and you might find one made in Australia or Argentina where lawyers do not have excessive power to ruin lives because of their client's stupidity. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use the Premier poultry netting with very good effect, but it does need to be baited as sourland said. The poultry netting is pretty fragile by itself, but if a bear hits the baits nose first then it doesn't matter if the fence is fragile or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by