Bears!!!! Oh, my!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by six little chicks, May 28, 2010.

1. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    Last night my DBF and I were working on finishing the pen for the coop and we heard his parents dog across the road barking his head off, DBF went to check out what was going on, he came running back and told me to get DS into the house because a bear was down at his parents house, and off went DBF with his shot gun. Luckily, we had just brought the chicks back into the house after letting them have some outside time. We planned on putting the chicks out in their coop this weekend for good, but now I’m not too sure that I want to. A couple years ago, a bear broke into his parents laundry room and got into the garbage while his parents were right in the living room, they thought it was the dog at first, but when his dad went to get her out of the garbage, he saw that she was behind his chair, and then he seen the bear coming at him, right in the house. DEC gave them rubber bullets to shoot at the bear, but now we’re afraid that the bear might attack one of the boy’s (DBF nephews 5 and 3 and my DS’s 4 and 9). DBF’s mom is contacting the DEC today to see what can be done.

Now the question is, should we still plan on putting the chicks out this weekend as planned or wait?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Seems to me if a bear broke into my house it's would be DEAD!!! The heck with the DEC.

3. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definately keep the chicks in until the bear is caught. Theres a thread on here about bears getting into chicken coops. The bears ripped the wood doors right off the coop and when they moved what chickens were left into the garage the bear broke through the closed garage door! Definately bad news to have a bear around.

4. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Six Little Chicks, where are you located? Do you know what the laws are regarding shooting the bear to protect yourself, your family, and your livestock? I am familiar with bears, being as though we have them passing through our yard every spring. A good electric fence is something I would invest in. Good luck, and be safe.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Bears are extremely strong, amazingly strong. Anything shy of heavy metal gates will not likely deter a bear. Time to invest in an electric fence, and build a stout run. That might work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by