Bears

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DebbyW, Dec 3, 2008.

1. DebbyW

DebbyW New Egg

Dec 3, 2008
    Hello,

This is my first post..so Howdy:) I would really love to have chickens for eggs/pets. My husband and I just bought a house with this in mind but over the summer we had a very frequent bear visitor in our yard and on our deck. We are very careful about inviting bears and keep our yard very clean and free of any type of food. The bearbears have apparently been coming through our yard for many years as this development was once an orchard and still has many trees throughout the different properties. We don't have any fruit trees but many neighbors do.

The problem is I haven't been able to get advice on how to construct a bear-proof coop. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    DebbyW

2. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Run a few strands of electric around it.

3. DebbyW

DebbyW New Egg

Dec 3, 2008
    Great! I hadn't considered that. Thanks so much.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    To build a bear prove coop would cost about $35,000. That is material and labor. Momo has the right idea with an electric fence. Since I installed my electric fence, the only time I have had a bear problem is when I forget to turn it on after working on it. I run the electricity though barbed wire. Doing this the barbs penetrate the hairs to shock the bear. Using the little thin wire the hair acts as an insulator and won't shock the bear. Some people say to put peanut butter on the wire, I don't for I don;t want to attract them to the runs. Don't forget your two best friends when the bear comes visiting, Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson, 3006 or larger will do just fine.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't think any coop is 100% bear proof. that would be a pretty big order.

6. DebbyW

DebbyW New Egg

Dec 3, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I am wondering what type of material would need to be used to add up to $35,000. Sounds like a bunker:) The bear/bears only come at night and have not really been a problem so I definitely want to stick to non-lethal methods. I do appreciate the details on the electric fence though. I am wondering if you have any additional advice on keeping my two Shelties from getting near as I certainly don't want them getting shocked. Maybe a non-electric fence just outside of the electric? Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks,
    DebbyW

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The shelties will only touch it once;)

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Actually, you probably do want the shelties shocked. You are a lot more likely to lose chickens to a dog than a bear. They probably will learn pretty quick to stay away from it.

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:I will agree with you on most people will loss more chickens to dog than bear. But until you see the destruction a bear can do to a coop or any building, you would rather have ten dogs attacking than one bear. Again I will agree, all dogs or any predator should be shocked at least once.

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Put a dog house near the coop with a dog that likes to bark. This will keep the bears away. My wife and I do alot of camping in the backcountry where there are alot of problem bears stealing "bear bags". We've never had any problems and we just bring our Aussie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by