Bears...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by never_ending_fermata, Apr 10, 2009.

1. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    i lost half of my 24 chicken flock this morning...
    we're going to call fish and game to see if we can trap it.
    is there any way to try to keep them out?
    and another thing, in your opinion.
    i only found three of them dead. it's not like they eat them whole right? so what do you think happened to the others? they are no where to be found.

ugh.

what are your experiences with bears?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Some of them may still be hiding somewhere.

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I have thankfully never had bear problems myself -- but, from reading other BYC posts here, I think what you need is REALLY STRONG electric fencing.

Good luck!

4. Spotted Owl

Spotted Owl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    NW Oregon
    Heavy guage low impedance electric is the only thing we have found to keep bears back. No the generally eat them whole, I would guess that you have some feathered friends hiding out some place. It's almost Easter so instead of an egg hunt have your family and friend go on a hen hunt.

For us the electric started about 6" off the ground to keep them from digging and then lifting the fence, and spaced 6" to 8" to the top of the run about 7' high. Then we also put electric on the coop or anyplace that will house chickens or chicken sent. You will hear it when a bear gets into the fence. If you out when it happens you will hear the snap of contact then the bawling of the bear as it is leaving.

The new fence going up is a galv cattle pannel fence suspended on "T" post by insulators about 6" off the ground 2x4 nonclimb is hog ringed to that. Then the whole thing is energized by the fencer. Under the panels is twist braided barb to kepp other nasties out and the burried nonclimb for the diggers. That is the set-up we had at the last place and nothing ever got into the run or the coop.

It will be some expence but electric is about the only thing I know or have heard of.

Owl

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I think I know the area of N. J. you live in. Other than an electric fence to keep them out, you need to call on my two friends for help. Mr. Smith & Mr Wesson will take care of almost all bear problems. Once they speak, use the Triple S rule. Shoot, Shovle & Shutup. Last year is the first year in a long time I have not have to call on my friends. But he bear are around here there is no getting away from that. Since moving from N. J., I live in the Sierra foothils on a cayon above the American River. Yes, I am surounded by natioal forest. Until retired city people moved in, we never had a big bear proplem. Only they want to feed them until they get in thier house.

6. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:More likely then not the bear scattered the flock. From there unfortunatley it makes them vulnerable to a whole bunch of predators. I've been dealing with a bear problem the last couple weeks myself.

7. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Wow, that will keep out superman! lol

Seriously though, what are you using for a battery with this setup? I am looking into doing an electric fence but I need to use a solar charger. Also the cattle panels that you mentioned, are those the 16 foot ones and if so which T posts are you using? Are they the green ones for the galvanized wire fencing?

8. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    wow. thanks! i did go out and buy some electric fencing today. i guess i'll have to wait and see that happens next...

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Because of the hair on the bear, use barbed wire
    as your main hot wire. The bear will just short out the thin round wire that came with the kit. Sheep herders use this method also. Look at kencove.com abd redsnapr.com and afence.com
    If you look at afence.com try the Zareba system.
    They have a speacal section on setting up an electric fence for predators. Or just google zareba electric fence. When a bear hits the hot wire your neighbors a mile away will know it.

10. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    UGh, my worst nightmare , they are up. Electric fence may not work. It is BAD here in NJ. Once someone gets mauled we may have a bear hunt. They do not eat them whole always , they can shred them in pieces and cover your coop in blood splatter. Pull what you have left inside and call fish and wildlife. Look up my post from last August. If it did over $500 they will trap and kill it. Is it tagged? Tagged twice and it is a goner. I will try and bump my post if I find it. Watch yourself and your home...be very careful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by