Beat up chicken or sign of Respiratory disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieCanada, Jun 24, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    One of my chickens got beatup this morning. Had a bloody face, swollen and missing some feathers. I also notice her eye is bubbling. I already have another bird in quarantine for respiratory infection. Is it normal to get bubbly eyes and watery eyes from a fight?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If it's eye got wounded I'd say yes, but if you have one in isolation for respiatory issues, then I'd say treat this one also. Sorry this happened, clean the bird up real good with either saline or providine iodine and warm water. then evaluate it's condition. Making sure to wash her or his eye out real good so you can see if the fight caused this or something other. All the best.

3. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:If it's eye got wounded I'd say yes, but if you have one in isolation for respiatory issues, then I'd say treat this one also. Sorry this happened, clean the bird up real good with either saline or providine iodine and warm water. then evaluate it's condition. Making sure to wash her or his eye out real good so you can see if the fight caused this or something other. All the best.

Cleaned her up a bit. Didnt see watering at the moment. Dam chickens. She doesnt back down from a fight and she was fighting with a new mom that has 9 baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by