beat up chicken :(

Ilona

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
My friend called me saying that one of his hens was pecked by his other hens to the point that poor hen lost feathers from her neck and was bleeding. He took her away and nursed her to back to health and when tried to re introduce her to the rest of them again they pecked her again. So hen ended up in our coop. She sat in the nest for 3 days scared and ate only when I gave her some food in my hand. I also noticed that my other chickens pecked on her too. So I put her in a little house 3x2" with a run 6x5" right next to others, so they can see each other. The question: is she going to be happy by herself at night in her own coop? Should I try to re introduce her to the other 3 eventually or just make her own house permanent. If the answer is that she is just screwed and banished for life to be alone I am going to make her house better, make it higher of the ground etc. I feel bad for her she is such sweet hen.

Leave her next to the others for a few weeks. Then you could try putting one of the nicer hens in with her, instead of the other way around. You may be able to get them all together one at a time.
Put the other hen in next to her after dark, so they do not immediately have a set-to. There may still be some pecking, but she stands a better chance against one than three.

A friend of mine has 3 RIRs. They all seemed to get along well but then she noticed one was always a target. She has them in the same area but separate coops & runs. She tried to put her back with the other 2...no go. They see each other but's that it....no togetherness. It's sad for the solo one but better than having her picked on constantly. She was thinking of getting another hen for her as far as company goes but hasn't yet.

I might consider putting some young chicks with her and see how that goes. If she has to be alone it is nice that she will at least be in an area next to the other chickens.

An existing flock will rarely accept a new strange hen- they view her as a stranger and a potential threat- a separation period where they can see each other but not reach each other is key. Keep her in her own pen so that they can all see each other for several weeks, then as previously suggested add one of the friendlier hens in with her, but observe them carefully. If they accept each other wait a couple weeks then try introducing both birds to the main flock. If this doesn't work then it may be she has to live alone. Good luck!

thanks for replies. I may get another young chicken to keep her company, but for now we will keep them separated. Tomorrow if I manage to come back from work before dark I am going to work on improving the new coop.

I put the chicken back with the rest of them. They are still chasing her and peck from time to time but she is not injured. I am watching them and so far seems like she is getting used to the new place...

Our new chicken is part of the coup now and everyone is getting along. The bad news is that my dog ate one of the other chickens. She was the most friendly, and my favorite one. It was a sad day
sad.png
I don't really blame the dog as it's an instinct. Chicken got out, and it was my fault, although I can't believe she was able to squeeze under the coop. The problem was fixed.

Back
Top Bottom