Beat up roo gets bad frostbite! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RussianChickens, Nov 27, 2013.

1. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    One of my favorite roos got beat up and got bad frostbite over the last two nights on his comb. I bright him inside today and he's not acting well.

His comb has turned black on the tips and white and swollen in other areas. He was also beat up so he's full of scrapes and cuts and feathers pulled out!

This evening his comb has a bad smell like rotting flesh.

What do I do with him? I don't want him to die!

Please help! Thanks

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    He should already be dubbed OEGB style if you are in a cold climate. There is no other thing needed but a good sharp pair of scissors. I assume another roo did the beat down and there is a good chance that the tussle was over a prime roosting spot. Dubbing him will get rid of the dead tissue and he should heal right up. Out of 1,000s of roosters dubbed I never saw or heard of one bleeding to death or getting an infection.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)

Only one problem. He's for show :( I can't dub him. I'm not sure yet how deep the damage goes. If its just the outside or very deap.

I was trying to integrate him into a new pen that's warmer for winter but he got bet up. I've been sick so I left him for my dad to care for for a couple days and he got frostbite on top of it all.

4. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    The white spots look like blisters. And the tips have turned very very dark purple almost black. He has lived last winter at someone else's place with no problem. I bought him this summer. The rest of my chickens are wyandotes and ROs for their cold hardiness. I keep just a few for show.

5. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The frostbitten parts will eventually blacken, shrivel up, and fall off on their own with enough time. At this point, there's nothing you can do to save the dead tissue. The 'white spots' are likely just scabs. In the meantime, try applying Neosporin around the edges of the infected area. Once the frostbitten parts blacken, you can try to gently remove them, since it's now just dead tissue. I've heard of some people dissolving aspirin in water to help with the pain, but I've never tried that myself. Your rooster is likely in a lot of pain, but not in real danger of infection. Try to keep him in an isolated and warm place while he recovers.

6. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)

OK that sounds alright. It looks awful so I worry. It looks like just the very tips will die so Iddon't think it will mess him up for show.
    I have him in the house with water and corn and food scraps. I'm going to cook him up some cracked eggs in the morning. I'll look into the aspirin too. He does not seam to feel too well so it might help him.

The smell is what worries me most. None of the atackers had spurs so it must be his comb or he's one dirty chicky.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Get your nose right down on the comb and confirm that is the source of the smell. If not, check that guy over really well for other wounds under feathers that might have been suffered earlier. Our first roo lost nearly half his comb to frostbite but there was never any obvious smell of rotting flesh. We cleaned the comb with betadine and applied a mixture of pine tar & neosporin (pine tar tastes terrible and his hens left it alone). Sure hope it is just the tips - whitish/translucent tissue just below the obvious frostbite will usually resolve without further comb loss (but not always).

Good luck!

8. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin

Unfortunately frostbite injuries tend to get worse before they get better. The smell comes from the tissue dying, but as long as it's not spreading, there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

9. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    It doesn't appear any worse this morning. Maybe a touch better, one of the tips is nice and red again.

The stackers did not have spurs and I didn't notice anything else under the feathers yet

10. RussianChickens

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    The frost bite looks better. But he now has a large infected area on several parts of the comb. It looks like a bubble under the skin filled with puss. Its grown sense this morning.

So I'm thinking about poping it and washing and antibiotic ointment. One bubble seams to be forming dealer in. This one concerns me and I'm not sure what do do about it.

Is there any antibiotic I can feed him that would help?? Especially the internal bubble I can't pop or put ointment on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by