1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

beaten up quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fraoch21, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    i have 6 41/2 week old quail which live in a pen beside some turkeys(sameage) one of the turkeys managed to get inot the quails pen and rip the feathers out of 2 of my babies [​IMG] one of them has all the feathers off its back and the other has all feathers off the side of its head. the bts are bloody and the one that has it on its head has taken it pretty badly. She was shivering reallly badly when i found her and just sits downa nd closes her eyes. ive taken her inside and warmed her up, what else can i do? thanks

EDIT; oh also when i put the quail back in with the others one of the males had a go at her head and chased her around so i took her back out

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    A little blue Kote on the Open wound will help. Turkey + quail = much bad!!! Bill

3. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ok thank you, i know turkey and quail should not be anywhere near each other but im out of space for now and i didnt think the turkeys could get through. what should i do about the male as i cant keep her seperate from the rest?

4. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If it's a open bleeding wound, most likely the others are gonna peck at her. Blue Kote helps hide this some but not always enough. Bill

Edit to add... Careful with blue kote around the eyes...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    i just picked her up and her skull feels soft, i compared it with the others heads and its only hers that feels soft that way?

6. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    can someone please help me? i dont know whether to put her back outside tonight or keep her inside away from the others. im really worried about her skull, she seems to not have very good blance wither and is pretty dorwsy, please help!

7. the outdoorsman

the outdoorsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I am no expert but I would keep her inside.

8. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If her skull is "soft" as in crushed or broken, there's no much you can do... If this is the case she'll likely be gone by mornin. Most likely she's scalped and it looks much worse then it is... Keep her inside away from the others till she heals. You'll be amazed at how fast that may be... Bill

9. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ok thank you, yes when i touch the top of her head i cant feel any bone just kind of squishy? [​IMG]

10. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    another update, my parents made me put the quail back out with the others last night and she was picked on them through the night, her head is now bloody blue mess with the skin taken off down to her skull, you can see her skull [​IMG]
    i dont know what to do other than put more blue kote on and keep her in a pen of her own, she seems alright, wakling around eating cheeping but she sleeps and shivers alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by