Beaten Wing Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dadof4, Sep 13, 2008.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Hi all, I was wondering if anybody has had a problem with their meaties tearing their wings up? This is my first year with them and I have been processing the 30 that I have the past couple of weeks(they are about 9.5 weeks now). I have been using the 'ol hatchet and stump method and up till now hasn't caused a problem. Two broke their wings even though I was holding them still and the other, which flapped away beat his wings soo bad that the are bruised and bloody looking. I assume that they are safe to eat still and processed out nicely. I was just curious as to others experience. I guess I will try a cone next. Thanks.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I did have broken wings when I dispatched my birds too. If you think about it, how strong is their bone? They just stopped peeping at 8 weeks- give or take a day or two. So those bones are very soft and immature.
    Next year I'm going to use the killing cone as their body weight will prevent the flapping wings and breakage.
    With the nails in the saw horse, I looped a cord around the birds legs, using an ax...I would release the bird and it would hang next to the first one. As they flap, I noticed broken bones and blood pooling in them.
    Good luck!

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If you dispatch by pithing they don't do that. They just go limp.

4. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    What's pithing?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Pithing is inserting a needle like rod through the mouth and into the brain to dispatch.

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a couple that broke their wings. I started holding onto them really well and didn't get anymore.

pithing sounds perfectly grizzly...

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    A few of mine had broken wings too and one wing was even green (ewww).

If I can get up the nerve to ever do it again, I will try pithing or at least use a cone. The stump/nail/axe thing just didn't work for me. My aim is horrible.

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:While killing isn't fun in the least, we did a fairly straight forward thing. While holding its feet, lay the bird on its stomach. Take a rake handle or whatever and put that over its neck near the base of the head. Step on the handle with your foot and at the same time pull steadily on the feet till the neck pulls out. Drop the bird and go down to your knees collecting it together to keep it from flopping. When it stops moving, hang it quickly and slit the neck side to side and let it bleed. I thought it worked really well. The blood just gushed when you hung them. There's no way you could feel anything after having your spine detached from your head, so it's as humane as possible. As much as I hate killing anything, it was the method that worked the best for us.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Hmmm...no aim required...I just MIGHT be able to do that!!!

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    After reading how much trouble some folks have had with pithing, (I use a very sharp paring knife, with a good point) maybe it takes some practice for some. I don't know what they did differently, it worked fine for me and for Ninja Poodle's DH. See her thread, "First time butchering quick and easy" for details.

Maybe people didn't poke all they way through to the brain, or didn't aim at the right spot. I've only done chickens, haven't tried pithing on a turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by