Beating myself up.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beegirl4, Jan 20, 2015.

1. beegirl4

beegirl4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I'm so upset with myself. My eggs were 36 hours over due (I only had 2). I had really thought that they stopped developing around day 17 because when I candled them they didn't move and didn't seem to be growing. On day 22 1/2 I did the float test and they failed (or so I thought). I wanted to see when they died, so I opened them up. The first one was hard to figure out so I opened the second one and it was still alive. I'm so upset. It still had a huge yolk sack and didn't seem very big, but it was alive!! UGH. I don't understand what I did wrong. Maybe it's because my temps were a hair lower than they should have been so they developed slowly? I'm so sad. I feel awful and didn't sleep....I wish I just left them alone.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Don't beat yourself up----You did not Know----so many before you have done the same thing-----Just Learn and Move on---------to the Next "Set/hatch".

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It happens. We live and learn....[​IMG] Sorry. Just think this......it was probably a rooster anyways.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your chick, but as said above don't beat yourself up about it :hugs We have all made mistakes and these things happen. It really is how we learn. I know I've made my fair share but I've learnt and moved on. Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatching in the future.

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hey, Hey---Whats wrong with a rooster----LOL. I actually get more out of a grown rooster than a laying hen!

6. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Queen of learning from my mistakes here. Chin up, you learned from it and now need to move on. Any loss is difficult but the next time you will do better. :hugs

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You are probably right that it was your lower temps. It delays the hatching date. Something to remember - 21 days is a guideline. Not a rule. Sometimes they hatch at 18-19 days, sometimes they hatch at 22-24 days. There are variables that we don't always count on that affect these times. Even with a broody where the conditions are always perfect, the hatch date isn't down to the minute. As others have said, don't beat yourself up. Chalk it up to lesson learned. Tough lesson, but one you won't forget.

8. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry....Double post. Won't let me delete.

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Ummmm.....Nothing! Want one, or two, or three, or 13?

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I SURE Wish you could E-mail all of them to me---LOL. I would take a 100 a week!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by