Beauceron?

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
I thought I seen on here in someone's signature that they had a Beauceron. I was hoping to get some first hand accounts of how they are with chickens and cats, and at guarding their homestead. I met one of these dogs in TX and man did I think he was cool. Very stoic, stayed with his owner, mellow, despite the fact it was a chaotic party.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with the breed!
big_smile.png

Yep I am getting one in the near future (6-8 months from now). I have only a few first hand accounts with them, all of them amazing dogs. I have read that they can be much like the GSD as in some lines are skittish and nervy. I have never seen one that is that way though, I'm sure they are out there. They tend to be stoic dogs, as you have seen, but they bond extremely strongly with their owners. They are listed as being both a herder and an LGD. They make excellent watch dogs and can be very intimidating. Their size alone is enough to deter most people. Their training needs, from what I have read and had people tell me is a bit like a GSD but more independant thinking, so good leadership and making training interesting is how to get training done with them. But really, who knows? I've never owned one and every dog is an individual. We'll see how it goes.

I have researched breeders in the US and Canada. I am looking for a dog that I can do a sport with so there's only one breeder that I settled on. Ruling out the other breeders was pretty easy, except to say one kennel listed in Canada seems to have good drivey working dogs. I have seen one specimine from my choosen breeder -- that dog is amazing, in both his choosen sport as well as being a very active Therapy dog. Very dual purpose with very good temperament.

I have to talk with the breeder a bit more, and find out more about her lines. I have had several people tell me that for my needs, there's only this one breeder. I will be driving to pick up my puppy so a road trip is in my future. I am so excited.

I won't openly discuss breeders here, as I may change my mind later. So if you want more information on specific kennels you can PM me. I will be more open about my puppy when I get closer to getting one.
smile.png

They are a breed with strong guarding tendencies so it is extra important to buy your puppy from a serious hobby breeder who sets temperaments as a very high priority.

That type of genetic background on a shy or fearful dog is a recipe for disaster.

They are superb dogs if they are properly bred are properly trained and have the correct guidance.

We have a female Beauceron. She is a very good dog. She has been raised with our chickens and is very good with them. She even helps us and herds them up if we need her too. They are a high energy dog and have a very strong need to work. Our Beauceron does any job we need her to. They are a very versatile working dog. She does anything from herding to tracking. Here is some pics of Deja.

Elle Deja des Ombres Valeureux

101054_deja.jpg

101054_deja_3.jpg

101054_deja_2.jpg

101054_deja_4.jpg

101054_deja_5.jpg

101054_deja_1.jpg

101054_deja_6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom