1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beauitful but what am i ? (new pics of hatch mates)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken delighted, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    thinning out the flock and i having BIG doubts that he should go! could any on give me an idel if i should keep or not

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    No picture, try again?

3. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    He looks like a mix to me, but he's really pretty! I would keep him.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a possable mix...although part of his coloring would include splash

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    splash orp? How big is he?

Very pretty bird, but roos should be held to strengent standards as far as attitude goes to earn the privilage to stick around. How is his attitude towards the girls and towards humans? Are there other roos in the line up for possible culling? What are their personalities like?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  7. Kermits Mom

Kermits Mom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Portland and Vancouver
    I love him! He is a splash, no doubt. But he does remind me of a serma. . . A little to big though, a mix? I am star struck by his coloring[​IMG], Keep him![​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty mixed breed rooster. I'd go by his temperment, as stated above. If you're not breeding for a "breed", and he's respectful of you and nice to the ladies, keep him if it works for you. If you're really short on space and breeding specific projects, I'd cull him.

9. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    [​IMG]i got him in a batch of splash marans eggs i ordered. as for temperment he is great a little hard on ladies(a lover not a fighter).i have his other two hatch mate roos and pullets. that why i been a little confused in getting rid of him cold he have some wheaten maren in him?he is about 8lbs, hatched in june

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    if that is one of his hatch mates, isn't it possible that he is a blue splash marans as well? Just clean legged? I dunno all that much about genetics of a chicken...

I wouldn't go by how hard he is on the ladies yet though. When there are fewer roosters giving them all of their "attention", it's a good possibility the girls won't look so frazzled. You could always do a pros and cons chart for each of the ones you are looking to cull, the ones with the most cons go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by