Beautiful BQ French Black Copper Marans cockerel Smallbrook line for sale- Pickup only in No. Calif.

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by One Chick Two, Jan 1, 2015.

1. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Hi, Happy 2015!

This is Beau. He's a lovely, nearly 6 month old French Black Copper Marans from the Smallbrook line, who came from a dark egg... (his mother lays Marans level 5, and his father came from a darker egg.). He comes from the Smallbrook line. He's handsome, and a very human friendly fellow who does enjoy being held occasionally, and will eat treats gently from your hands, and come when called, so he would be great for a chicken friendly home.
    [​IMG]
    We are currently in our F1 generation, and he's borderline being able to be shown (explanation below) but is breeder quality, but, we will not be using this male in our breeding program. I still think he's plenty nice enough to be a benefit to someone else's backyard flock who wants a nice, sweet rooster who came from a dark egg for Marans or olive eggers.

We have seen him mate successfully twice with pullets. (He's in with his brothers now in the cockerel bachelor pen, and they all get along.) You can obviously see he's decently well-colored red-copper, and it's well balanced thoughout- with no halo- which is rare to find. He has good type on the upperline, with a well-rounded, manly chest, bay colored eyes, almost no spotting on his chest, and terrific feathering all along shanks and outer toes. So, as all of Marans birds have some flaws, he does have a few to mention as well. Fortunately, they are all things that I believe can be worked through, and will give a suggestion for his ideal love connection in hens.

He's not quite as big or chunky wide as his big, older brothers yet, but, I truly suspect he will be soon, as all of the rest of them have been good sized. Although he has good type overall, his back is slightly short... his tail is high (although not a squirrel tail) so, he may not be the best candidate for showing, but, I don't think he would be DQ'd either.

We are currently working through comb issues... sprigs/ thumbprints. He has a long, thin, skin "fold" toward right side rear comb- a fold which is not a sprig, etc. and can be worked through- with the right hen who does not carry a gene for sprigs. He has a spot bit of whitish fluff in his tail fluff, and under hackle fluff. His mother had a 1/4" white spot in wing- although I don't see that in him currently, he has a brother who has a white wing feather so, that can be a future possibility. A tiny bit of white feathers on shank feathering tips- common in 99% of BCM. All in all, better than most.

His ideal hen love connection... Large, WIDE hen with long back, and low tail angle. She should have a clean comb, and not come from a line with comb issues. At least some hackle color would be good. She should lay at least a Marans 5 level egg if you wish to darken future eggs.

Some of the good things he can offer a line is his terrific color balance, well rounded chest, great eyes/ nice face and well feathered shanks, with a sweet disposition to young.

No shipping, just pickup. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    He's standing on one leg here, but here's a side type view:

[​IMG]

You can see he has more even balanced color than his brother- meaning the hackle color and saddle match.

3. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    Here's his shanks...they are a nice, medium slate (as per the SOP) and they are well feathered outside the outer toes.

[​IMG]

4. chanelle

chanelle Out Of The Brooder

Hi I live in Northern California it Redding to be exact I am switching my flock from Coronation Sussex to the Copper Maran do you have any pullets possibly to go with him as a trio ? Where do you live in California thank you Chanelle

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    Sent PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by