Beautiful Buff Orpington babies...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Keltara, May 15, 2011.

1. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

We are newbies to the amazing world of raising chickens. We decided that we wanted to enjoy the taste of our very own eggs from chickens raised with love. I started to research what breed would best fit our home of 2 little girls and COLD winters as we live in Michigan. A chicken raising friend of mine recommended Buff Orpingtons. I started to research the breed and fell in love before we even got ours. I had intended to get a few different breeds, but once reading up on the Buff Orpington's, I knew that we would have a small little flock of only this sweet breed. On April 6, 2011, we brought home our day old Buff Orps.

[​IMG]

It was love at first sight. My children and I went to the local feed store where we had ordered our beauties from. The girlies each got to pick out two from the batch and name them.

Here's Tara with Dixie and Lily
    [​IMG]

And Madeline with Daisy and Jasmine
    [​IMG]

I put colored zip ties on the ankle of 3 of them. That way we can tell who is who.
    I never knew that chickens could be SO MUCH FUN!!! We took lots of pictures of them as they are irresistibly cute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The are so amazing, funny, and friendly. And my, how quickly they have grown. Here's Dixie at only 8 days old. She's already growing her flight feathers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At Easter, April 24, they had grown so much and really enjoy being outside. Anywhere we are, they are. They are so incredibly social. They love to be held and pet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's so fun to watch them scratch around and eat bugs. They never stray far from their human family though.
    [​IMG]

This shows exactly how the chicks and children feel about each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The girls love to play with their pretty babies and thus far, they have been an endless source of joy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A new source of enjoyment is encouraging the girls to "fly like a bird!". Believe it or not, they keep coming back for more. They love it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thankfully they are big enough now, that our 2 cats are intimidated by them. Phew! It's a good thing, because the chicks were NEVER afraid of them and I had to keep a hawk eye out when the cats were near.
    [​IMG]

Now our girls are just growing more and more beautiful each day.
    [​IMG]

Even down to their soft fuzzy little butts!
    [​IMG]

Don't foget to leave some love!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Adorable birds, beautiful girls, and stunning photos! You have a real gift! (And welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!!!)

3. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG] from NW Indiana
    We too have 10 buff orps who also share their spot with 3 barred rock. They are very social that's for sure.
    Love your pics!!![​IMG]

4. Keltara

Quote:Thank you Harmona. Photography is one of my creative outlets and my children are my inspiration.[​IMG]

Blessing!

5. Keltara

Quote:Rose
    I bet your buff's are your favorites! I can't get over how sweet ours are. We handle and play with them all the time. It's hard not to! I hope to post a lot more as our babies grow.
    Blessings!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Gorgeous Buff orpington babies!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm partial to BO's, but those, along with your girls are gorgeous! You also take great photos.

8. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Beautiful chicks. We have one Buff Orp called Molly who is a timid little thing but very friendly and patient just the same. I'm hoping she doesn't turn out to be a he, we would be so gutted to loose her [​IMG] Your photography is stunning by the way!

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i really enjoyed looking at those pics! it was very relaxing and made me smile! what are the names of your buffs?

10. Keltara

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Gorgeous Buff orpington babies!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

Thank you Aspen!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by