Beautiful hens, never seen anything like it before. Can some one tell me what breed they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplesquirrel, Dec 7, 2013.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Incubated some eggs from a local farm, and I have 2 hens of the same breed.
    Stunning gold, with dark brown almost 'leopard print' markings, with a tiny bit of cream.

They LOVE being picked up, and enjoying perching and are always the first to climb on things.
    When I'm bent over gardening or putting feed down, one (Judy) especially loves to jump on my back and rides about on my shoulder, gently cooing on my ear.

Since then, I have revisited the farm and observed the chickens, none of which look similar at all, they must have been killed or sold I'm not sure...
    The other odd thing, is that they both don't seem to have any sign of a comb whatsoever.
    Does anyone have an idea or what they could be?

I have attached photos of them as chicks and what they look like now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks.x

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Looks like a Lemon Spotted Brabanter or a cross of it. Usually brabanters have crests, which is what leads me to think its a cross. Check out this link to see different variations http://breedsavers.blogspot.com/2011/04/brabanters-reinventing-history.html
    They are a very rare breed, so you're very lucky to have them, and as stated in the title, they are very beautiful birds too!

3. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    awesome thank you, they definitely look like the lemon or gold-black spotted. Really awesome chickens. I call Judy my lap chicken :)

4. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    They look awesome. Rare too, if you found a rooster you could make some dough selling hatching eggs & chicks.

5. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I think theylaos look a lot like a Golden Campine. They look similar when they were chicks too.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're mixed breed hens. Do you have full body shots of them, including legs? and how old are they?

My first thought is a buff orp roo over a barred rock hen, these look quite similar to that cross.

8. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Ya full shots would help a bunch.

9. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

I agree about full body pics. First impression was color reminds me of my Sicilian buttercup hen so I would guess buttercup crosses. I love my buttercup... color is so pretty... would get more if I could! She is on bottom left as you can see

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. I don't know what breed, but I wanted to comment that they are very pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by