Beautiful, Large Blue Orpingtons - Hatching Eggs For Sale

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ruth, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Beautiful, large Blue Orpingtons. $60 per dozen for hatching eggs. Eggs were purchased from BamaChicken and hatched in September. I have blue roos in with blue and a couple of splash hens. The blue hens range from light blue to very dark blue (almost black).

Large rooster:

[​IMG]

Some of the hens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A young cockerl I hatched from their eggs:

[​IMG]

One of the newest chicks:

[​IMG]

I'll only take the first couple of orders for a dozen because I don't like to start a long waiting list- paypal is monique@edgar2.com. The first order can go out next week.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Those are beautiful birds but they look "englishy" to me...not a bad thing; beautiful in fact but I wonder if they have english orp in them somewhere.

I cannot buy I cannot buy I cannot buy must get coops for the ones I have must build first yes I must build first *walking away now*

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OH, I have some of Julie's (Bama) Orps, too! Aren't they just gorgeous? How many do you have? I do love them! So these might be related to yours, Ruth ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck on your auction! Love those Orps!

I have a question though...... what makes them, "show quality?" I am interested in producing show quality stock myself. The APA only has a SOP for the American Orps, not English. So, would you show yours as English or as American? [​IMG]

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Kathy - yours are gorgeous as well and I'm sure are related to mine since they came from the same stock. You'd have to ask Julie about their origins. I know nothing about nothing about breed standards. Only thing I know is that they are the most beautiful Orps anyone has ever seen and if entered in a local fair, everyone would take notice. I have regular blue Orpingtons, from several other breeders here on BYC, and they are half the size and half the fluff of these birds.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:That's why I asked ...... "what makes them show quality?" ..... I though show quality meant they can be shown in an APA show? [​IMG]

At any rate, I really love the Bama Orps and the English type. I can hardly wait to see mine mature and be able to breed the best ones.

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Kathyinmo - how many did you want to order?

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As far as I know, BamaOrps were from Sandhill Preservation stock...no other lines introduced with Sandhill Preservation that I know of. Sandhill was mum about the origin of their stock.

Yes they look more like English stock than the Catalupa stock. I think each lines have their own "signature". As much work BamaOrps did with her birds in the last decade? she has done so remarkably well!

If you take a look at Suede, SpeckledHen's rooster, he was the best quality of an Orp I've seen and Bama Orps have some excellent ones.

With Justuschicken's English Orps crossing with BamaOrps birds, I am confident we will see some outrageously beautiful Orpingtons.

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Thank you so much - now I know. I only knew that Bama's birds were the most beautiful I had ever seen and, as I mentioned, I have Blue Orps from several other breeders here on BYC (Speckledhen and Miss Prissy to name a few) but Bama's birds are by far the most amazing and they are only 10 months old and still growing. I'm not mixing their bloodline with the others. They are in a pen to themselves and their offspring.

So, since I bought them with no concern to APA standards, is someone trying to say that they are NOT APA standard and can NOT be shown???? Seems someone has a problem with the wording "Show Quality" but that's what they are to me. By the way, I paid $150 for a dozen eggs for the parent stock so figured $60 was a good starting price. I've been selling the chicks for $10 each.

9. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:Thank you so much - now I know. I only knew that Bama's birds were the most beautiful I had ever seen and, as I mentioned, I have Blue Orps from several other breeders here on BYC (Speckledhen and Miss Prissy to name a few) but Bama's birds are by far the most amazing and they are only 10 months old and still growing. I'm not mixing their bloodline with the others. They are in a pen to themselves and their offspring.

So, since I bought them with no concern to APA standards, is someone trying to say that they are NOT APA standard and can NOT be shown???? Seems someone has a problem with the wording "Show Quality" but that's what they are to me. By the way, I paid $150 for a dozen eggs for the parent stock so figured $60 was a good starting price. I've been selling the chicks for $10 each.

They are not APA standard as recognized. They are English in build and feathering so therefore they would be disqualified.

As beautiful as they are - love Bama's birds - they are not APA standard. They would not be able to be shown in an APA sanctioned show.

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    So as NOT to mislead anyone - I've edited my description and taken out the words "show quality". My apologies to all who were upset over my poor choice of words and my thanks to all who wrote to correct me. I never meant APA standard, I meant more like local County Fairs where I'm quite certain they would win. I'm also pretty certain that BamaChicken does indeed show her birds, and most likely in APA shows, but I'm awaiting clarification on that issue. Again, you can all rest easy now - those words are gone, gone, gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by